New Wetherspoons opening - Wards Brewery, Ecclesall Road

SYorksDeano

It could be on the Parkway for all I care. When I sit in a pub/bar, I tend not to care what the road is like.

My point was that it's between Eccy Road and town, and there's plenty of offices nearby and not many pubs. It'll serve them well and join up the strip down Eccy Road with the city

My flat is at the back, overlooking the river

The offices though are located closer to Nursery/Varsity/Pomona/Champs.

Then there are London road pubs.........

The governement building at the bottom of the Moor used to be full, but a lot of those employees have moved to the new offices near the quay. Reg Vardy has closed, the Saab Garage downsized and Norwich Union laid staff off.

It will be a prime spot for Broomhall and Nether Edge council tenants with its cheap food and drink. It has no parking, and little space for taxi waiting.

I will be surprised if it has much of an impact on the Ecclesall Road 'Scene' as those people wouldn't want to be considered Wetherspoons clientele.

In that area for those with long memories was the Earl Grey, Jolly Buffer (Classic Rock), Devonshire Arms and the New Inn. All now closed or demolished. Maybe there is no need for a pub there anymore, not a generic one anyhow. There would need to be a unique selling point for a pub there to justify the travel in to what seems like the Ecclesall Rd triangle, either excellent food, real ale or entertainment maybe.

Personally it wouldn't attract me with anything I cant get 250 yards further up the road, without being as isolated.

Maybe you could enlighten us on the view from your home? You seem to be very interested in the view from other peoples.......

A bit boring really.....just trees from the back windows and the drive and garden from the front windows

Archived