New Wetherspoons opening - Wards Brewery, Ecclesall Road

SYorksDeano

Yeh, looks like it will be quite big, and there's the outside space they'll have at the front, which I assume will extend to the block paved area.

Still not confirmed the 16th July for opening, we were told at the residents meeting that there would be a pre-opening residents "test run" type event before the main opening, so unless they've decided not to do that then it looks like late July early August as an opening date. But who knows?!

Walked past this last night, more things are still being put up (menu signs in the windows, chillers all installed (and running by the looks of it?)) so probably at least another week. No news about an opening date on the actual Wetherspoons website either.

I'm actually more interested in the residents meeting you mentioned though - is this just for the Phase 1 people? I live in Phase 2 and have never heard of these! Always thought we could do with more information on this/other general information about the buildings, like fire alarm testing etc, even if it's just a notice put up by the concergie!

Walked past this last night, more things are still being put up (menu signs in the windows, chillers all installed (and running by the looks of it?)) so probably at least another week. No news about an opening date on the actual Wetherspoons website either.

I'm actually more interested in the residents meeting you mentioned though - is this just for the Phase 1 people? I live in Phase 2 and have never heard of these! Always thought we could do with more information on this/other general information about the buildings, like fire alarm testing etc, even if it's just a notice put up by the concergie!

why would it impact on Phase 2?

I haven't seen/heard anything about residents meetings in Phase 1, except for chatting to neighbours. They had a meeting in January, just before I moved in.

why would it impact on Phase 2?

I haven't seen/heard anything about residents meetings in Phase 1, except for chatting to neighbours. They had a meeting in January, just before I moved in.

Didn't say it would impact on Phase 2? Just curious as to why Phase 1 have residents meetings and we don't.

No biggy, just curious.

Didn't say it would impact on Phase 2? Just curious as to why Phase 1 have residents meetings and we don't.

No biggy, just curious.

I suppose because it's directly attached to the building, with residents directly above and either side of the building.

I get your point though, because I'm right at the back and am sure I won't be affected at all... Phase 2 residents by the through road between 1&2 may be more affected than me by any noise.

However I guess it's reasonable to limit it to a smallish number of residents so that they are able to voice reasonable concerns about things that are definitely going to impact on them. You might get supporters/dissenters from Phase 2 who aren't in any way affected by the pub. Hence why I reckon they made the decision to consult with Phase 1 only.

That's how I see it anyway. I think most important is people remember that Wetherspoons do have a good reputation for ensuring relationships are maintained with those in their vicinity... and have shown this apparently in their previous residents meetings. If people have issues with the pub when it opens them I'm sure they'll listen to any concerned residents. I think that attitude is more important than hosting large residents parties (I assume with free food and drinks!:D)

No biggy, just curious.

...also, I understand that 100% of Phase 2 residents are renters but the vast majority of Phase 1'ers are owner occupiers. I await to be correct though.

I was told next Wednesday by one of the workmen today.

He reckoned they'd be finished Thursday night and would then need a few days to clean up and get everything ready for the grand opening.

Regards

Doom

Archived