New Wetherspoons opening - Wards Brewery, Ecclesall Road

SYorksDeano

About 5/6. I had Jaipur, Wards and Sheaf and they were all great

One agrees. It is good, and they serve Wards, which I guess shouldn't come as a surprise. Toilets, although snazzy, and about 100 miles away upstairs, but apart from that can't really fault the place. And considering it was v busy you couldn't hear a peep from the flat's communal areas.

As they open at 7am I was tempted to have a fry up and pint before work but thought better of it....

One agrees. It is good, and they serve Wards, which I guess shouldn't come as a surprise. Toilets, although snazzy, and about 100 miles away upstairs, but apart from that can't really fault the place. And considering it was v busy you couldn't hear a peep from the flat's communal areas.

As they open at 7am I was tempted to have a fry up and pint before work but thought better of it....

we're going to have brekkie there tomorrow. yeah couldn't hear a thing.

Did you leave your sense of humour behind at Wards :hihi:

My post reflected the fact that some people have said that Weatherspoons are nothing better than noisy chav catchers. And others have said that it will spoil what are rather expensive apartments.

I just saw the wit and irony in the particular juxtaposition of them both......the wit being the fact that there is still the snobbery of some homeowners wondering what will bring down the value of their property....and the irony of me being on a council estate full of the chavs that would frequest such a hostelry....and there not being one here.

And as for my jealousy.....not a bit of it thanks....I used to own property in London....and the mortgage and associated headaches that go with it.....and I too was part of the hard working professional set back then.....I sold up and got out.....closed my expensive leather filofax and never re-opened it :)

Well said! :thumbsup:

Now my nearest pub, tried it tonight - along with half the rest of Sheffield. Loads of staff all very helpful, chatty and keen. Food good and quick despite being busy. Thornbridge beers a quid cheaper than in Champs (owned by Thornbridge - how does that work?) . Local history info on photos, specially commissioned local art. Only thing not to my taste is the carpet - (at least you won't notice when some Chav throws up on it.)

My verdict - an asset to Ecclesall Rd.

As I sat looking out of the window enjoying my pint of Jaipur it dawned on me that the view of the flats opposite didn't quite go with the nice new interior. It then dawned on me that plenty of people on here have complained that their property price will fall as a result of a Wetherspoons opening. Correct me if I'm wrong but the flats opposite were there long before the apartments were bulit, they were there when people decided to buy an apartment and are still there now. I think that the flats have more of a bearing on the value of the apartments and not a Wetherspoons.

Absolutely Kirky - I agree with you 100% I moved into the area in 1986 and have seen the gentrification - Eclipse and Rabone closed down demolished, Wards turned into up-market flats and the tarts evicted. Its only the efforts of our council that have held the areas back:

1. Upgrade of Eclesall road to 3 lane motorway standard complete with motorway size traffic signs
  2. Planning permission for Quickfit's shed
  3. Handing over of Sunnybank to make an urban nature reserve - the only people who dare to use it are up to some illegal activity
  4. Planning for high density ghetto of Broomhall place
    • neglect and failure to make the flats opposite Wards safe/attractive/ desirable

Not really complaining but it would /could have been so much better with a bit more vision

I can't really see its attraction. What does it offer that you can't get between Champs, Varsity, Nursery Tavern, Pomona and Menzels?

It has no parking and in terms of price is there that much to seperate it from further up the road? No real USP for me, I will be sticking with Porter Cottage and if I choose to eat around there would choose Varsity or Nursery at lunch as there is space for my car.

Archived