New Wetherspoons opening - Wards Brewery, Ecclesall Road

SYorksDeano

It has no parking and in terms of price is there that much to seperate it from further up the road? No real USP for me, I will be sticking with Porter Cottage and if I choose to eat around there would choose Varsity or Nursery at lunch as there is space for my car.

Yes, those other places are much more convenient for your casual drink driver?!

I can't really see its attraction. What does it offer that you can't get between Champs, Varsity, Nursery Tavern, Pomona and Menzels?

It has no parking and in terms of price is there that much to seperate it from further up the road? No real USP for me, I will be sticking with Porter Cottage and if I choose to eat around there would choose Varsity or Nursery at lunch as there is space for my car.

Go on then smarty pants whats the difference in 'USP' between Varsity, Nursery Tav and Pomona?

I can't really see its attraction. What does it offer that you can't get between Champs, Varsity, Nursery Tavern, Pomona and Menzels?

it's not like any of those places, thats what it offers a change, variety is the spice of life.

Go on then smarty pants whats the difference in 'USP' between Varsity, Nursery Tav and Pomona?

Well the fact there are several bars located close together that means you can get a change of scenery without walking too far. If they were sepaerated by a mile I would probably never visit any of them, but the fact you can make a night of it makes them worth visiting.

Yes, those other places are much more convenient for your casual drink driver?!

You shouldn't judge everybody by your own standards. Because they are pubs that serve food does not necessarily mean you are forced to drink alcohol.

You shouldn't judge everybody by your own standards. Because they are pubs that serve food does not necessarily mean you are forced to drink alcohol.

Quite right. Just because there isn't any parking directly on Ecclesall Road does not necessarily mean there isn't any around the back/on other nearby streets.

the outdoor tables were really busy today when i walked past on my way home... definitely got the edge on any of the other places you mentioned.

Are there any residents of Wards Brewery here? If so, are there any issues with disturbance? I noticed on the initial planning permission it was hot topic, and Wetherspoons seem to have made a real effort to work with the community.

there are a few residents on here, including me. I don't live directly above it and haven't been disturbed at all. I think I heard a bottle collection the other day but it was at a reasonable time. Other residents I've spoken to have said the same, it seems very well sound-proofed and I think it was only 1 or 2 who has issues with the development, and mainly around the location of air-con units. We haven't seen any trouble or anything around the place. So far so good! I agree about Wetherspoons making an effort, they had residents meetings, and I think Des (the concierge) was busy liaising between residents and Wetherspoons. They invited residents to the pre-opening night which was a nice touch.

I've lived in a few city centre developments and Wards Brewery is by far the best, I'd really recommend it.

• 2 weeks later...

wetherspoons underneath my flat or house-sounds like a dream to me and with all the bennefits of not having loud music played and being able to walk downstairs for a real ale and a bargain meal. No downsides from what I can see!!

Archived