New Wetherspoons opening - Wards Brewery, Ecclesall Road

SYorksDeano

I take it you live there? bit of a defensive post.:rolleyes:

I do, and its not a defensive post at all. That was a rumour whipped up on an earlier thread by members of the forum who are against new developments.

Another rumour was that most of the flats are lying empty, which is also completely false.

I do, and its not a defensive post at all. That was a rumour whipped up on an earlier thread by members of the forum who are against new developments.

Another rumour was that most of the flats are lying empty, which is also completely false.

how do you know all of these things? west one is a fairly large development with a variety of owners.

how do you know all of these things? west one is a fairly large development with a variety of owners.

It is, the bottom end above the car park is student accommodation. Peak, Panorama, Central, Plaza, City and Tower are all owner occupiers or rented to students/professionals.

The fact that I struggled to find a place there proves that they aren't all lying empty. Out of the 4 I put an offer in, 3 went to higher offers (asking price). My friend is looking at moving in and saw a 2 bedroom at Plaza for sale on RightMove. That lasted 2 weeks before being sold. A 1 bedroom in City recently became available and was taken off the market in less than a week.

well I'm moving into the Wards Brewery development on thursday, I'm fairly 'meh' about having a spoons underneath, our flat is around the back so it shouldn't really be noticeable at all.

As long as you aren't on the ground floor you should be fine.

Indeed, but look at the clientel it will bring into the area? You've only got to walk past the Bankers Draft and look at the people stood outside to see what I mean!

You're talking out of your arse. Just because the Bankers can be a pig sty it doesn't follow that other spoons outlets are. The swim inn is ok, I was there last week and the one at woodseats is absolutely fine.

The reason that the bankers attracts so much tramplife is because it is right in the middle of town on the transport crossroads and is near to the courts and run down market hall. In years gone by the cannon and the hen & chickens had all these characters.

See post above. Unless of course people prefer to leave a property empty?

HSBC have leased quite a few in West One to accommodate some of their whiz kids. A friend who owns 2 has let them to HSBC since the day he completed the purchase, they still lease them from him.

A friend's daughter rents in the Wards Brewery development and absolutely loves it, she uses Waitrose like it was a corner shop.

I see some potential problems with the smaller inner city apartments. Those on Pinstone Street above the shops are only 35 square m2 in total area, with no outside space.

http://www.leeds-city-guide.com/cuthbert.jpg

excellent example of a new wetherspoons development in a nice part of leeds. none of the "clientel" from other spoons have moved over there. its a nice bar.

This is the pub I immediately thought of when I read the first posts in the thread. I have nothing against 'Spoons. Being a former employee of the Woodseats Palace I've seen some nice branches, some dire (Swim Inn anyone?)

I have always thought the units at the wards brewery would be quite a pleasant situation for a bar, Wetherspoons or not, and would definitely "head up" Ecclesall road with something lively at street level.

I reckon the residents should hold their tongues as they knew on purchase of their pokey, overpriced apartments that there was an opportunity for such a venue to be placed underneath them.

Archived