Is it free to use paypoint at shops

Paypoint shops DO charge customers to use their service in spite of what "cgksheff" has said.

I dont like it when he words his reply as if he is part of Paypoint which he obviously is not. That makes him look stupid and/or dishonest. Perhaps he would like to refund the £1.50 that I was charged?

I appreciate that he may think that he is being helpful but he should repeat their web site in a third party way such as "Paypoint say they dont charge customers, advise THEM if you are charged".

Tonight I was charged to make a payment at a Paypoint agency and whilst that may be in breach of the agreement with Paypoint and they may look into it, the fact is that the shop has taken my money, not given me a receipt and will not refund it to me.

Paypoint will not refund it to me either because they did not take my money. Of course they are welcome to telephone me on 07956 440480 to discuss whats gone wrong.

no paypoint do not charge £1.50. the shop you chose to use did

and why on earth did you not demand your recipt. i pay my gas/electric via paypoint, always get a recipt, how can you prove you paid if you dont get and keep your recipt?

how do you expect paypoint to refund you when you have no recipt to prove your claims?

would you go to asda and tell them they overcharged you without proof?

I've always had a receipt when using Paypoint, since the machine prints one out automatically, the retailer will normally hand it back over along with the card or whatever it was you used to make the payment.

same here and if they ever didnt hand it to me i would jolly well ask lol

The only time I don't want a receipt is when the woman in the Co Op asks if I need one, when I've bought a chocolate bar and a pack of mushrooms, and spent £1.75. I'm hardly going to need to return them (although I could debate that I have been overcharged) :hihi:

I've always had a receipt when using Paypoint, since the machine prints one out automatically, the retailer will normally hand it back over along with the card or whatever it was you used to make the payment.

The Paypoint machine will only print a receipt for the amount you've paid; it would not print details of how much the shop has charged you for using the service.

It remains the case that PayPoint do not allow shops to charge customers for using the machine. Anyone who is told they have to pay a charge should tell the cashier, or shop manager, that they will be reported to PayPoint for breach of contract. (And should then report them, if the charge is not rescinded.) And they should, most definitely, insist on a written receipt for that charge specifying what it was for.

• 2 months later...

Just went to pay my TV licence at GT News in Crosspool and was told that if I did it by card, they would charge me an extra 50p. At which point I went away again rather than let them rip me off - I'll do it over the phone or online instead.

So why do these shops become Paypoint outlets if they don't really want the business and just want to rip you off instead? I'm sure they'll be the first to complain when they go the same way as the post offices and lose their jobs because everybody's doing everything online.

Archived