Is it free to use paypoint at shops

I think you will find it is free if you pay by cash,but the shop can charge you if you pay by card.

That's what she said. But there's no mention of shops being able to charge a card-processing fee on the Paypoint website.

Doesn't really matter for me anyway because the TV licence is the only thing I've ever used Paypoint for, and it looks as though I'm not doing that in future. Quite why the TV licensing people had to stop us paying at the Post Office, which was free, and make us go to Paypoint shops which are often pretty disreputable looking establishments anyway and not the sort of place where you fancy inputting your card details in the first place, I will never know.

That's what she said. But there's no mention of shops being able to charge a card-processing fee on the Paypoint website.

That's because it is a totally seperate charge not even related to the paypoint, you are being charged for the card transaction regardless of what it is you are paying for. It just so happens that on this occasion you paid for your TV license. When on another visit it could have been some cans of beans and a Toffee Crisp.

It's a direct quote from the website. To reword it would be dishonest.

When people do a cut and paste job it helps if they use the wrap quote tab to make it clear its not their words.

No, the PayPoint service is free to all customers. If you are ever asked to make a purchase please let us know straightaway. You can email us at enquiries@paypoint.co.uk. Alternatively you can ring our contact centre on 08457 600 633 or write to us at the following address:

PayPoint Customer Services

1 The Boulevard

Shire Park

Welwyn Garden City

Herts AL7 1E

I think the OP may have got their answer from the several posts and pay point website.

Just to add....

Nisa stores are run on a franchise basis, so the chances are the man does not work for Nisa, but simply works using their name. However, from what I know they tend to be managed businesses so are under agreement to stick to nationwide promtions and agreements.

Chances are that the agreement with Paypoint could be held with either the franchisor or the franchisee.

It is likely that the store franchisee has implemented the charge himself, due to the costs he has to pay for rental of paypoints. This however, as several people have pointed out, is unacceptable. He will most likely be in breach of his agreement. I am also unsure if this breaches trading standards also?

I've had a reply to my query to Paypoint and here is the relevant bit:

I can confirm that PayPoint is a free of charge, cash-only service and if a retailer was to accept a debit or credit card; this would be at their own discretion through their own chip and pin device and so may levy a charge. The only exception to this rule is with TV Licensing where a debit card can be swiped through the PayPoint machine free of charge.

So the definitive answer is that I should have been able to pay for my TV licence with my debit card and not get charged for the privilege.

And if you happen to work in GT News in Crosspool, then i) stop ripping people off and ii) the man from Paypoint will be ringing you up for a word in the near future.

Archived