Toe shortening surgery

Well my friend thinks her feet look awful because of this and it's causing a lot of anxiety. I've tried to persuade her that no one would notice much but it's really important to her. I think it all started when someone noticed and made a comment about her toes.

I can't help wondering if there would be a line where the toe has been joined back on though:confused:

Just had a quick look at the website and if that's what the surgery looks like AFTER, I'll steer clear thanks. The example they give on the front page must be their best, and if that's their best then god help the other poor feet that come out of there - that foot looks MUCH better before (IMO).

Sounds like your friend could do with having a good look around in the summer at women's feet in sandals, I'm sure she'd realise that her feet are just fine compared to some of the feet out there.

This coming from someone who was forced to wear shoes that were too small for her before the age of 8 because her biological parents couldn't afford shoes for her as they needed their cigarettes so now has big toes that point in - oh, AND 2 toes on her right foot that are webbed. I still wear sandals. With a bit of nail polish, they can still look fairly pretty.

Just had a quick look at the website and if that's what the surgery looks like AFTER, I'll steer clear thanks. The example they give on the front page must be their best, and if that's their best then god help the other poor feet that come out of there - that foot looks MUCH better before (IMO).

Sounds like your friend could do with having a good look around in the summer at women's feet in sandals, I'm sure she'd realise that her feet are just fine compared to some of the feet out there.

This coming from someone who was forced to wear shoes that were too small for her before the age of 8 because her biological parents couldn't afford shoes for her as they needed their cigarettes so now has big toes that point in - oh, AND 2 toes on her right foot that are webbed. I still wear sandals. With a bit of nail polish, they can still look fairly pretty.

I agree that photo doesn't look great but that's a big toe that's been shortened. I guessing that's a more difficult procedure than a second toe?

She's SOOO embarrassed about her toes but I'll do my best to point out other people's shortcomings in this:hihi:

Well my friend thinks her feet look awful because of this and it's causing a lot of anxiety. I've tried to persuade her that no one would notice much but it's really important to her. I think it all started when someone noticed and made a comment about her toes.

I can't help wondering if there would be a line where the toe has been joined back on though:confused:

Slippery slope, IMO... Once she's had the toes "fixed", what's she going to decide is ugly, next? her eyes? her nose?

As I said in my post above, Grecian toes were considered a thing of beauty. I think my toes are just dandy, and I have the same phenomenon, of my second toe being longer than my big-toe.

Tthe one thing I might possibly have changed if I had the choice, would have been that instead of my hobbit-like size 9 feet (at 5'1-and-a -bit) I'd have liked average sized feet, about a 5 or a 6.. but short of having my feet amputated, (no, thanks!!!) that's not going to happen, in this life or the next.

I think your friend would be better being counselled, to look at why she is obsessed with a supposed "imperfection", and get help to love the skin she's in, and not feel the need to mutilate herself with surgery.

Put myself through an unnecessary op?

The risks of an anaesthetic?

Pain and discomfort?

Weeks in a cast/ with pins sticking out of my toes?

Unable to wear decent shoes for ages?

The risks of it going wrong? (EG infection failure to heal, etc?)

erm, thanks but no thanks.

About 10 years ago, my mum-in-law had her bunions operated on.

Now, that was what I'd call a functional problem, as there was severe pain before the op, and difficulties getting shoes to fit over the deformity. At the same time, she had her hammer toes straightened.

The rods sticking out of the end of her toes really squicked me out, it made me feel ill. (and I'm not someone who is squeamish, at all!) it took her a while before she was back to normal.

Mutilating oneself is not my idea of fun, I'm afraid.

I agree that photo doesn't look great but that's a big toe that's been shortened. I guessing that's a more difficult procedure than a second toe?

She's SOOO embarrassed about her toes but I'll do my best to point out other people's shortcomings in this:hihi:

ps, no, to shorten a big toe, it's the same procedure as for the second toe.

and edit to add a PPS:- the toe after looks more hideous than the toe before! (on that first-page picture)

Edited by Plain Talker

I think that may be the most ridiculous thing i've heard of in a long time.

I personally HATE feet, I think they're awful and don't like my own [i have odd feet, one foot is like my mums feet and one like my dads] so my toes are all completely different but I'd never do that. swelling for months after surgery?! no thanks!

I had my big toe shortened without the cost of surgery. I was playing football on the street and accidently kicked the curb. A broken toe and lots of pain later, I discovered that the toe was shorter than what it was.

I would advise your friend to kick something really hard.. it works well :thumbsup:

Slippery slope, IMO... Once she's had the toes "fixed", what's she going to decide is ugly, next? her eyes? her nose?

As I said in my post above, Grecian toes were considered a thing of beauty. I think my toes are just dandy, and I have the same phenomenon, of my second toe being longer than my big-toe.

Tthe one thing I might possibly have changed if I had the choice, would have been that instead of my hobbit-like size 9 feet (at 5'1-and-a -bit) I'd have liked average sized feet, about a 5 or a 6.. but short of having my feet amputated, (no, thanks!!!) that's not going to happen, in this life or the next.

I think your friend would be better being counselled, to look at why she is obsessed with a supposed "imperfection", and get help to love the skin she's in, and not feel the need to mutilate herself with surgery.

Pain and discomfort?

Now, that was what I'd call a functional problem, as there was severe pain before the op, and difficulties getting shoes to fit over the deformity. At the same time, she had her hammer toes straightened.

The rods sticking out of the end of her toes really squicked me out, it made me feel ill. (and I'm not someone who is squeamish, at all!) it took her a while before she was back to normal.

I certainly agree with that - obsessing about your imperfect feet is definitely not a good sign, and it sounds like she could have some serious issues with self-esteem.

I can't say I ever notice what people's feet look like! If somebody starts to bemoan the fact that they can't get nice shoes because their feet are too big, too broad, too narrow, whatever, then I might look at their feet - but I'd never notice the size unless they drew my attention to it.

My own trotters are size 4, EEE, and I'm short and fat - I suppose somebody who noticed these things would think I looked like a weeble!!! But the only time I agonise over them is when I'm trying to find some nice shoes that fit and don't crush my tootsies.

Pain and discomfort?

I think you're right PT but it's not easy trying to convince her about this :|

She's already booked a consultation because she thinks this will really improve the way she feels about herself. It sounds daft but she's really dreading summer and people seeing her feet because she thinks everyone is staring at her feet when she wears sandals. I couldn't bear the thought of having pins sticking out of my toes personally.