Holocaust Memorial Day today 27th Jan

No it was in fact a joke to suggest that I will do it when they do that because I know that you would not get them to do as a Jewish nation hold any reguard for homosexuals, never mind admit that they may have been part of the 6 million calculated to be Jewish and so thats about as much chance of happening as me sending my kids to school on a day that is just for celibrating this day of mourning.

And that my friend is my choice.

No it was in fact a joke to suggest that I will do it when they do that because I know that you would not get them to do as a Jewish nation hold any reguard for homosexuals, never mind admit that they may have been part of the 6 million calculated to be Jewish and so thats about as much chance of happening as me sending my kids to school on a day that is just for celibrating this day of mourning.

Sorry, I can't make any sense of this at all! :roll:

John X

All you need to know is my answer to the question

Deffinatly not.

Forget the 'ingrained in the nations psyche' nonsense, do you think the Holocaust should be taught in school just as a part of history or should it be taught more actively as a lesson in what should never be allowed to happen again?

John X

So why would you feel the need to educate all our children about it and mark the event yearly ? the subject gets covered in history without us having to dwell on it. QUOTE]

No it doesn't, not any more - I have a large group of 16-18 year olds in my training project, and they had no idea about the holocaust until today... I was amazed, but then I am constantly amazed at what the kids I help with don't know about the world...

I'd say yes, given the lack of knowledge of many of the younger (and not so young) people.

I was astounded at the lack of knowledge when this was being discussed on a recent thread. (Genuine lack of knowledge rather than 'denial' by various people with an agenda)

The Soviet deaths are included in most Remembrance commemorations but I think the Holocaust should be treated differently as these were non-combatants who were murdered.

John X

There has been plenty of outright denial on here too. People that should know better, but that want to believe, or more likely want to exonerate the atrocity of the holocaust for their own political ends.

The Imperial War museum has a permanent exhibition on the holocaust I am told is worth a visit if you are in London.

http://london.iwm.org.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.1454

And I was talking with a couple of people earlier on today that recommended visiting Auschwitz and the holocaust museum in Paris. Both people said the visits will live with them and influence them positively for the rest of their lives.

Re: Israel

A) the event organisers don't just raise awareness of the Shoa under the Nazis, although as industrialised genocide goes it is a special case:

http://www.hmd.org.uk/

B) regardless of what you think of Israel's actions, it is distasteful in the extreme to try to use that as a reason to downplay what happened under the Nazis.