Questions for any cyclists..

I'm seriously thinking of losing my cycling V plates and getting a bike soon for a number of reasons (I can ride a bike, or I could, so thats one thing sorted).

A few questions which I'm hoping any cyclists can help me with.

1. What kind of bike?

Most of the ones I see are sort of sporty looking and kind of engineered so ones arse is at the same level as ones face. I don't like this. Plus I'm short and I want to be able to touch the floor with my toes when I'm stood still. I think there is a name for the style where the seat is quite low and I found a website with this kind of bike in quite a plain retro style but I can't remember what it was. Anyone got any ideas?

2. Clothes

Lycra will not be an option :help:. The main thing I'm worried about is not being able to wear skirts, as now its not freezing I'll probably be wearing a skirt or dress 5 days out of 7.

I've had a look at female cyclists (not in a dodgy way, obviously) and I haven't spotted a single woman in a skirt. I've had a google and apparently it is done, and done with style, in other cycling cities but does it just not happen in Sheffield? :huh:

(I don't flatter myself that my upper thighs or pants are particuarly fascinating but I don't want to have to carry a change of clothes around everywhere or get too much hassle).

(obviously safety and all that will be a consideration and yes I will get something bright and neon to show I'm there even though I hate yellow :mad:)

Plus for some reason I'm imagining its actually quite easy to cycle in heels, easier than walking even. Anyone? :confused:

3. Sheffield

Any tips on how to start? I've heard there are some council run courses or something like that, so I was thinking start off in a park just to check I know how, then graduate to a safety course, then try some short routes before doing it properly.

4. Safety

I hate to ask this but its the most important thing really. I am not in a position where I can afford to have anything broken or anything beyond a few cuts and grazes. Any thoughts? :(

Cheers :)

You can probably get some good advice from 'Cycle Sheffield' (website is http://axelrod.vs.mythic-beasts.com/ppmw/index.php/CycleSheffield)

There is also 'Pedal Ready' who give free cycle training sessions (see http://www.pedalready.co.uk/free_cycle_training.php) for people who are interested in cycling or haven't cycled in a while.

Good luck!

I'm seriously thinking of losing my cycling V plates and getting a bike soon for a number of reasons (I can ride a bike, or I could, so thats one thing sorted).

1. What kind of bike?

Most of the ones I see are sort of sporty looking and kind of engineered so ones arse is at the same level as ones face. I don't like this. Plus I'm short and I want to be able to touch the floor with my toes when I'm stood still. I think there is a name for the style where the seat is quite low and I found a website with this kind of bike in quite a plain retro style but I can't remember what it was. Anyone got any ideas?

2. Clothes

Lycra will not be an option :help:. The main thing I'm worried about is not being able to wear skirts, as now its not freezing I'll probably be wearing a skirt or dress 5 days out of 7.

I've had a look at female cyclists (not in a dodgy way, obviously) and I haven't spotted a single woman in a skirt. I've had a google and apparently it is done, and done with style, in other cycling cities but does it just not happen in Sheffield? :huh:

(I don't flatter myself that my upper thighs or pants are particuarly fascinating but I don't want to have to carry a change of clothes around everywhere or get too much hassle).

(obviously safety and all that will be a consideration and yes I will get something bright and neon to show I'm there even though I hate yellow :mad:)

Plus for some reason I'm imagining its actually quite easy to cycle in heels, easier than walking even. Anyone? :confused:

3. Sheffield

Any tips on how to start? I've heard there are some council run courses or something like that, so I was thinking start off in a park just to check I know how, then graduate to a safety course, then try some short routes before doing it properly.

4. Safety

I hate to ask this but its the most important thing really. I am not in a position where I can afford to have anything broken or anything beyond a few cuts and grazes. Any thoughts? :(

Why not contact Bazzer, I understand that he likes to ride.

He also has a pushbike. :P

P.p.s Wear a helmet, they don't look cool - but if you are going to be cycling on the road, it really is essential. When you are in a car you are surrounded by a big metal box for protection, but obviously that's not the case with a bike, and even if you are a very careful cyclist, you can't rely on other people's driving.

1. What kind of bike?

Have you tried '' Short arses R Us '' on Fargate ?

1. What kind of bike?

You should get a hybrid/city bike and seeing as you want to cycle in a skirt a hybrid with a step through/'ladies' frame something along these lines.

As regards wanting to be able to put your feet flat on the floor it simply isn't possible to have your saddle at an efficient height for pedalling on a traditional pattern bike and to do this. If you want to have your seat that low by all means do so but you will make it much much harder for yourself when actually riding the bike. Personally I set up my bikes to suit the vast majority of the time when I'm pedalling it not the brief interludes at traffic lights.

If you live in Sheffield you'll need a proper bike like I linked to with a decent rage of gears and good brakes, 'retro style' bikes are fine for posing about the beach front on terrible for riding round Sheffield on.

Don't forget aside from the bike you'll also want a lock & lights so leave some room in your budget for that, also I think it's well worth switching the quick releases which will most likely come with your bike for security skewers which makes it far harder for people to knick your wheels ans seat and save you from having to carry 2 locks.

2. Clothes

You can cycle in a skirt on a bike with a step through frame though if they're long you might need to get a pretty comprehensive chainguard fitted, heals sound like a terrible idea to me.

3. Sheffield

Goolge it there's bound to be something.

4. Safety

Just exercise basic precautions and you should be just fine.

Cheers guys (except Mr Treatment - I'm going to give you a slap if I ever bump into you :mad:)

I love the aesthetics of this one:

http://velorbis.co.uk/velorbis-bicycles-online-store/velorbis-ladies-bicycles-1/studine-classic-ladies-bicycle

But the blurb on the site sounds like the kind of marketing c**p that I'm quite familiar with :rolleyes: I have no idea whether the actual spec is good or not.

Does it look like they are selling something which is too expensive for what it is? :huh:

Looks like around the right price for what it is but... would probably not be suitable for climbling the steep hills of Sheffield, more for tootling across Amsterdam.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Kona_Dew_Plus_%28Compact%29_2010/5360047406/ I reckon this would be good for you.

Don't forget:

Lights

High Visibility jacket or accessories

Might be worth investing in a rack and a pannier to carry that change of clothes around if you need to...

If you are cycling in a skirt you might want to wear a pair of leggings or something underneath to protect against those... chills.

Archived