Questions for any cyclists..

You're an adult so its your choice if you want to wear a helmet but it has saved the life of my cousin twice (both times cars fault) and I always wear one.

That Velorbis is not suitable for Sheffield, it has no gears and the frame will flex. It also looks quite heavy. Fashion over form.

Find out if your Employer does the Cycle to Work scheme, it can save you money on a bike but there is still good deals around on 2009 models.

I would recommend Langsett Cycles. They know their stuff and are very friendly. Also not as busy as J E James.

Hybrid would be my choice with a step through frame like this:

http://www.langsettcycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s18p6330

Get some decent LED lights, maybe full length mudguards and a reflective wastecoat. Langsett will put it all together for you.

I did the pedal Ready free course and it was excellent. It will help with all aspects of cycling, routes, road craft, attitude, etc..

There's also a Sheffield Cycle map available to download with details of routes within the city.

More information here

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads-and-transport/cycling-and-walking-and-prow/cycling

And don't be put off if you find it hard (to ride and to sit on the bike!) initially, it does get easier the more you do it.

I also always wear a helmet.

You say about your cousins accident that, in both cases it was the cars fault.

Obviously I can't comment on your cousins case as I don't know the details, but, as I previously mentioned, one issue with helemts is that there is evidence that car drivers drive less responsibly around cyclists wearing helmets (possibly subconsciously assuming that it's less important to avoid bumping them, due to the common belief that helmets will protect the cyclist).

If that is true, then it is possible that any protective aspects of helmets could be offset by the increased liklihood of a collision in the first place, especially in these cases where the collision is due to the car driver.

Personally, whilst I realise that many cyclists also dispute the protective qualities of helmets when it comes to head impacts, I choose to wear a helmet because my instincts tell me that I'd rather have a helmet on if my head is going to hit the ground.

However, I do sometimes wonder if I've made the right choice, because I'm concerned that my choice to wear the helmet may lead to more likelihood of irresponsible actions from some car drivers.

I try my best to ride carefully with self-preservation being a priority, so the greatest risk tome, IMO, comes from that minority of car drivers who drive carelessly around cyclists- for that reason, it is a concern to me if helmet wearing does increase that level of careless driving.

Cheers all :) (lord those Pashley ones are gorgeous :love::love:)

Does anyone know somewhere in Sheffield that will hire a woman sized bike out? I was going to borrow my flatmates one for a trial run but the seat is just a little too high (I can't even get the ends of my feet onto the floor on that and I am just a bit too old for stabilisers:()

Cheers all :) (lord those Pashley ones are gorgeous :love::love:)

Does anyone know somewhere in Sheffield that will hire a woman sized bike out? I was going to borrow my flatmates one for a trial run but the seat is just a little too high (I can't even get the ends of my feet onto the floor on that and I am just a bit too old for stabilisers:()

Hybrids with step through frames are made for women which means they have women's saddles (which is important) and come in women's sizes. I'd expect Langsett, JE James, Decathlon, Go Outddors and most other bike shops in sheffield to stock such bikes. The bike I linked to at Langsett is available right down to 15" which would be more than small enough for all but the tiniest of women.

As regards the height of the saddle a good guide is that with the pedal at the bottom of the stroke if you put your heel on the pedal your leg should be pretty much straight. With a saddle at this height you will not be able to get both feet flat on the floor when sat on the saddle but you will be able to pedal efficiently, something which is rather important in a place like Sheffield which isn't exactly flat. If you want to get both feet on the floor slide forward off the saddle.

That is indeed a nice bicycle but with no mudguards or chain-guard it won't be long before the floaty dress is mangled in the 21 gears.

This Dawes Geneva might be a better bet and it even has a rack, dynamo lights and a lock. 7 gears is enough for any cool cyclist with no intention of breaking out in a sweat.

I've had a Ridgeback for many years and when my oh decided that she was fed up with hiring bicycles when on holiday so was going to buy one I suggested that we get a female version. She demurred but, after trailing round most of the bike shops in Sheffield and much googling, we popped into Buttefields on Leppings lane where we found the perfect bike, a Ridgeback!

Plek's link in post #7 is the exact same model and is perfect.

That is indeed a nice bicycle but with no mudguards or chain-guard it won't be long before the floaty dress is mangled in the 21 gears.

This Dawes Geneva might be a better bet and it even has a rack, dynamo lights and a lock. 7 gears is enough for any cool cyclist with no intention of breaking out in a sweat.

That Dawes is twice the price, mudguards, a rack, a chain guard and a lock don't cost £250.

Personally I'd rather have a decent set of LEDs over dynamo lights as well, the Dawes is a perfectly nice bike I just think £500 is far more than you need to spend on a town bike these days.

Those are both very nice bikes and with the addition of mudguards and so forth would be just great for round a town like sheffield, though personally I don't like sus forks on a the road. It just shows how much bike you can get for your money these days

Archived