Questions for any cyclists..

I tend to use a quick release rack and properly waterproof rack bag to carry stuff but a rucksack is handy if you aren't carrying much weight. A traditional rear rack and panniers are probably the best option if you want to leave them fitted but I like the option, hence the QR rack. You can spend a fortune on this sort of stuff but even something basic can be waterproofed with a bin liner!

If you do get the rucksack option you might get quickly fed up of having a sweaty back but by then you'll be a cycling god and be buying all sorts of dodgy lycra ! :D

Back, bum and thighs is what you will mainly get from the bike so a good complement to running. I find that the two complement each other nicely.

I'm seriously thinking of losing my cycling V plates and getting a bike soon for a number of reasons (I can ride a bike, or I could, so thats one thing sorted).

A few questions which I'm hoping any cyclists can help me with.

1. What kind of bike?

Most of the ones I see are sort of sporty looking and kind of engineered so ones arse is at the same level as ones face. I don't like this. Plus I'm short and I want to be able to touch the floor with my toes when I'm stood still. I think there is a name for the style where the seat is quite low and I found a website with this kind of bike in quite a plain retro style but I can't remember what it was. Anyone got any ideas?

2. Clothes

Lycra will not be an option :help:. The main thing I'm worried about is not being able to wear skirts, as now its not freezing I'll probably be wearing a skirt or dress 5 days out of 7.

I've had a look at female cyclists (not in a dodgy way, obviously) and I haven't spotted a single woman in a skirt. I've had a google and apparently it is done, and done with style, in other cycling cities but does it just not happen in Sheffield? :huh:

(I don't flatter myself that my upper thighs or pants are particuarly fascinating but I don't want to have to carry a change of clothes around everywhere or get too much hassle).

(obviously safety and all that will be a consideration and yes I will get something bright and neon to show I'm there even though I hate yellow :mad:)

Plus for some reason I'm imagining its actually quite easy to cycle in heels, easier than walking even. Anyone? :confused:

3. Sheffield

Any tips on how to start? I've heard there are some council run courses or something like that, so I was thinking start off in a park just to check I know how, then graduate to a safety course, then try some short routes before doing it properly.

4. Safety

I hate to ask this but its the most important thing really. I am not in a position where I can afford to have anything broken or anything beyond a few cuts and grazes. Any thoughts? :(

Cheers :)

I have a Bianchi as bike.... I use the bike in the summer because I don't have Technical clothing for the winter (and I don't have time....)

"you'll be a cycling god and be buying all sorts of dodgy lycra ! :D"

NEVER! Me and lycra are not happy bedfellows.

The woman on the far right of this picture. She's got my clothes (in fact I'm pretty certain that skirt is mine :suspect:). That will be me :D Apart from the trainers with a logo on them :|

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_kSNVKrktKUQ/Sjt5psoKMSI/AAAAAAAADo4/-M8dhr0_qPw/s1600-h/skirts_windgust.png

"Back, bum and thighs is what you will mainly get from the bike so a good complement to running"

Thats great, thanks. I can't swim so a cross training thing which will work out bits other than my legs sounds very good indeed.

You're definately going to need mudguards and a chainguard. :)

If anyone tells you that:

"Statistically, if you cycle a half hour commute the same time every day, you will only be rained on twelve times in a year"

You can tell them from me that's a load of old trousers.

Great, thanks for all the opinions :) I have a bit of time before I get something so as much information as possible from experienced cyclists is awesome.

A few more questions -anyone please?

1. Carrying stuff - I might have a folder, a few books, a laptop, and some random bits of shopping at any one time. Where does it all go? :confused:

Rucksacks and panniers are your options here, unless you're carrying lots or going a long way I find a rucksack the most convenient [particularly for around town.

Then of course there's the Cameron's genius method of hiring a limo to follow you carrying your stuff. It frightens me that a man with such pitiful problem solving abilities could soon be our prime minister.

2. One of the reasons I'm trying to find an alternative to walking is that I'm a relatively new runner.

I suspect walking every day for a few miles is stopping me increasing my weekly distance as well as playing havoc with my ankles. So I'm really, really hoping that cycling is going to be more of a workout for my higher leg muscles and will let me get my running out of the rut it is in at the moment.

Any runners AND cyclists want to give an opinion? (other than TOUGHEN UP GIRL!)

Cycling is excellent if you're having problems with your joints as there is next to no impact upon them.

"you'll be a cycling god and be buying all sorts of dodgy lycra ! :D"

NEVER! Me and lycra are not happy bedfellows.

The woman on the far right of this picture. She's got my clothes (in fact I'm pretty certain that skirt is mine :suspect:). That will be me :D Apart from the trainers with a logo on them :|

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_kSNVKrktKUQ/Sjt5psoKMSI/AAAAAAAADo4/-M8dhr0_qPw/s1600-h/skirts_windgust.png

"Back, bum and thighs is what you will mainly get from the bike so a good complement to running"

Thats great, thanks. I can't swim so a cross training thing which will work out bits other than my legs sounds very good indeed.

Lycra and the like is only necessary for fairly serious cycling and is completely unnecessary around town or for gentle leisure cycling (though for long rides you might like padded undershorts like these).

Girls who cycle have spectacular calves. Not muscly like a dancer's, just wonderfully firm and taut. Sorry, what were we talking about?

Oh yes, it's pretty good for upper body strength too. If you think about it, you are pulling on your arms on the ascents and to accelerate so your arms and neck muscles get better, core strength.

Does nothing for tummy muscles unfortunately, but you can eat more and drink loads more beer because you burn it off! Please note I have no medical background.

Archived