Car of the moment

oldiegirl

Cars that were in fashion? Are you serious? I never had that kind of money. But in the early 60's (the date, not me) I did have 20 quid which bought me a 1947 Ford Anglia. That car lasted a year and was finally ordered off the road by the men in blue as being in dangerous condition. Gi'oer. Just because one of the front wheel arches was hanging off, the passenger door was tied on with string and it had it's own built in air conditioning system, i.e. holes in the floor through which you could watch the road go by. Oh, yes. The hand brake didn't work either.

Yes, that car did have its "moments," which I remember with affection.

Yes that was my first one in '64, a '53 model cost £32, totally gutless but it semed great to me I and did all sorts to it including a new plywood floor! remember that 3 speed box? you had to learn to double de clutch to get up some of the hills around Derbyshire. When I had a few lessons before my test in a new Anglia 105E I couldn't get used to the clutch and kept smoking the tyres, the power was stupendous!

Yes that was my first one in '64, a '53 model cost £32, totally gutless but it semed great to me I and did all sorts to it including a new plywood floor! remember that 3 speed box? you had to learn to double de clutch to get up some of the hills around Derbyshire. When I had a few lessons before my test in a new Anglia 105E I couldn't get used to the clutch and kept smoking the tyres, the power was stupendous!

Yes, it wasn't synchro between 1st and 2nd, which is why I never used first gear. Always started in second. Also, the windshield wipers would slow down as you built up speed - the opposite of what you wanted them to do. Loved the car.

But, mine was the boxy type, a forerunner to what became known as the Ford Popular. If yours was a 53, wouldn't it have been the streamlined Anglia, a companion to the Ford Prefect?

What was your car which was of the moment, either owning one or borrowing dads?

I learnt to drive in a "Ford Anglia" car of the moment and then progressed to my dads "Mini" when they first came out.

my own personal car was the "Vauxhall Viva" which I had until I stopped driving .

My first car was a Ford Consul, green, bench seat in front with gear lever just below steering wheel, memories are made of this!:thumbsup::love:

Yes, it wasn't synchro between 1st and 2nd, which is why I never used first gear. Always started in second. Also, the windshield wipers would slow down as you built up speed - the opposite of what you wanted them to do. Loved the car.

But, mine was the boxy type, a forerunner to what became known as the Ford Popular. If yours was a 53, wouldn't it have been the streamlined Anglia, a companion to the Ford Prefect?

No mine was the last of the 'sit up and beg' type like yours, it, and the Prefect, was followed in '53 by the more modern looking 100E. The Popular carried on in the old style until '59 when it was replaced by the 105E Anglia.

Yes those wipers were something else especially when you went to overtake (not very often!) and the extra throttle stopped them dead just when you needed them and the only way to see was to take your foot of the pedal, last you wanted when overtaking!

I remember going to the car auction in rotherham and near the end of the sale along came a shiny blue Lada Riva..................NO ONE bidded.......so me being me (I like bargain)............i bidded 10p..........the auction was up in laughs !..........eventually i bought for around £15......................the thing drank £6 worth of petrol to get me home (about 5mile......sounded like a cheeftion tank,.........needed an exhaust......£50.........new tyres...........£80..........so i decided to take it the scrap yard.....WHO wouldnt take it unless i gave them £25.........................THE WORST CAR I EVER OWNED also the shortest time i ever owned one...

Never made it as a car dealer !!!!! Now we have a shiny black mercedes coupe !...........Mmm :) (Well th GF does anyway)

Never owned one but when i was younger (before i could even drive) the Austin Princess came out. It sounded so exotic and looked the part. 2 of my uncles hired them for a holiday to the coast and both engines blew up on the way. The guy who they hired them from tried to say they must have been racing them to the damage. No such thing they were just a crap car

Archived