What were your school dinners like?

BILL ELLIS

The only thing i ever liked was cheese pie.

mmmm, i remember those....lovely

one thing i remember which was horrible was mashed potato, which came looking like a walnut whip with the outside all crunchy. i think it must have been a cheap potato substitute because i love mash but this was horrible.

Also at our junior school there would be a table of eight with three seniors pupils dishing the food to the junior pupils. so unfortunately all the worst food went to the younger pupils with the older ones keeping the good stuff...unfair but a lesson in life i think!!!!

Nobody went to shirecliffe or longley then?the dinners were tailored for the pigs,funny thing is we didnt get any bacon sandwiches,even the smell put me off,I'd rather wakk the two miles to my grandmothers in all weathers than eat the crap they passed off as food.Yeh big grey vans delivered it and they smelled awfull Im sure they sent it from prisons and the drivers had no sense of smell.I think the teachers thought that we would all finish up in Armley anyhow!!!!!!!!!

As far as I can remember the school dinners at King Ted's back in the distant past (60s) were pretty much the same as everywhere... but I thought their chips were absolutely great. One of the dinner ladies there used to give me lots of them once I'd told her that my Mum was a school dinners cook too. Bear in mind that the money that was allowed for school meals worked out at about 1/3d (6p) per pupil per day.

• 1 month later...

My favourite school dinner at Birley Juniors was chocolate sponge with chocolate custard. Anyone remember the 'beef in gravy' with great gristly lumps which squeaked in your mouth as you struggled to chew them? The cook would be had up for abuse nowadays! I remember once at the infants, Mrs Norton the head teacher said our pudding was to be damson pie, and did anyone know what a damson was? I then woke up from my daydream and my hand shot into the air. "Oh! Miss! Miss! It's like a . . . young girl!!"

I liked all the puddings really, with the exception of Queen of Puddings, which I'm still not that keen on, being too sickly. Anyone remember Mr Gillies slapping a boy's face for swearing at dinner time, then telling him to 'stop roaring'?

Archived