If someone has bad breath, would you tell them?

If someone has bad breath, would you tell them?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. If someone has bad breath, would you tell them?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on who it was
    • Show me the results

Originally posted by nick2

I'd tell them, but use humour to soften the blow and not embarrass them, something like "Have you farted ? no ? it must be your breath then".

I'm sure that would really soften the blow Nick.

But seriously, if you've got a breath problem a mint won't sort it. Make sure you get a decent tooth brush (something like a Sonicare), floss and use a mouthwash!

Originally posted by ReginaldD

If it was one of my mates id tell them and also give them so stick about it as i'm sure they'd do the same it was me. But then again it would'nt be me as i'm not dirty scruff some people need a good wesh!!!!!

There are many reasons for bad breath, and they are not all just personal hygene problems.

Very old people sometimes have pooh smells leaking back up their digestion and out of their mouths.

People who smoke lots of cheap fags smell of wee. I have known several L&B smokers like this!!:gag:

And garlic smells terrible for a day after.

How often do you floss your teeth and scrape your tongue.?

You are supposed to floss every day, and in some countries many people have plastic tongue scrapers, to maintain good oral hygene.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!:P

I'm not sure I either could or would raise it with a colleague - I'd be far too scared that there may be an 'issue' that they cannot do anything about and are desperately embarrassed over. I've had more than my fair share of colleagues with bad breath, and I just make sure I'm not positioned where I can get a whiff of it.

You can tell if your breath is bad by licking your wrist apparently. Sniff it when it's dried and if there's a smell then you probably have halitosis. Long term bad breath is usaually caused by either dental or intestinal problems.

Dental problems usually result from not visiting the dentist every few months (who will tell you if you have a problem), and such things as Gingivitis (very common indeed). Brushing the gums as well as the teeth helps, as does lightly brushing the tongue as far as you can go without gagging (hehe) .

Intestinal problems can be caused by diseases and medical conditions or simply by diet. Too much protein is the usual culprit for bad breath, so common among fitness fans and dieters. You can usually tell if it is this as breath smells like rotten manure or dog faeces, and you can even smell it when the person has their mouth closed, but they are unlikely ever to know as the smell is not coming from their mouth but from their digestive system. :gag:

Just slightly off the subject but worth a mention.....I once worked in a hotel wher the restaurant manager had a BO problem and although everyone was talking about it no-one said anything to them.

Along came the staff party, and although I was supposed to be sober sister and keep the 'yung uns' behaving themselves I got completely plastered. The RM, who I like as a person, then proceeded to come over to me and sit and talk and at that point my mouth took over from my brain.

What I ment and should have said was ''are you allergic to deodorant cause a friend of mine was and he took ages to find one but **** is very ggod if you are'' what I actually said was '' are you allergic to deodorant... '' cause someone caught my attention. Slight short attention span I am afraid. :rolleyes:

I did not do it to be nasty but it just came out the wrong way..... alcohol can fuel some bad debates.

I has very sarcastic comment made for about two months after (which I deserved as I should have done this sober) and as I tried to explain the situation got worse...... So the moral or my story is ... Bertie749 keep you big mouth shut!!:(

I'd depend, If it was someone I felt would appreciate them telling them ie a close friend the yes I would, but with a degree of tact. Not "Oi! (insert name here) Have you been using dog sh*t for toothpaste?"

If it was someone I really didn't like I'd purposely not tell them and let them walk about with rank death breath :gag:

Archived