Beauchief hotel "brings back the glamour"

AYBABTU

Does anyone know if the Beauchief hotel restaurant has actually re-opened as this Star article suggests?

http://www.thestar.co.uk/food/Beauchief-39brings-back-the-glamour39.5956885.jp

We are booked in this Sat but cant find any news and the Beauchief website is way out of date...

Yes it's back open and called 'Christian's'. The sign says modern British cuisine. Looks nice from the outside. I think they're doing something with the downstairs bar as well.

I hope it works out as I used to love this place in the good old days and It will be nice to go for a drink somewhere different instead of Ecclesall Road or town.

We went for dinner last night and it was rubbish.

The food itself was ok (and ok is not really good enough at these prices) but the service was the worst I have ever experienced in this price bracket.

None of the staff seemed to know what to do and the girls waiting on the tables were complete dunderheads who gave the impression they have never waitressed in their lives.

No one offered to take our coats.

Our table was shoehorned into the corner and I literally had to climb over a chair to get into my seat.

No bread rolls offered.

None of the cutlery matched - they all had various different designs and looked ancient.

Bread plates didnt match.

At least 6 different waitresses worked our table and all of them were complete amateurs. One kept wandering about aimlessly clutching her note pad all night.

When the girl came to take our order she arrived with a "what d'yer want then?"

Then other girls came round to ask if we had ordered ...

Starters took about half an hour and were fine.

Mains took a long time - at least another 30-45 mins.

However , they first arrived with mains that should have gone to another table (they put one of the dishes down then had to whisk it away).

My wife had gone off to find someone in charge at this point and a young chap duly came over to apologise and give us some free drinks etc which was nice.

Did we see him again? No - he never followed up at the end.

I dont think he was the manager - I have no clue who was actually in charge.

One main arrived (chateaubriand) without fries or pepper sauce.

Plates were dangerously hot.

Fries then arrived but the wrong type (chunky chips instead of skinny ones)

Two other mains arrived several minutes later - girl announced "Swordfish"? No it was a lemon sole as ordered. One main (sea bass) came on a cold plate with cold sauce

No veg came with mains - had to ask.

Veg came - hard carrots , floppy green beans. Did not try the plain cauli or broccolli. really the worst veg side I have ever had - didnt really compliment my £18 lemon sole...It could have been frozen veg , totally dull.

Passed on puds , ordered latte, espresso and an earl grey tea.

Arrived and were all undrinkable. Got them taken off the bill.

Really lazy , unforgiveable place. Shame as food was OK.

No tip given.

You may think I am being fussy but when you are spending £ 50 a head I expect impeccable service and be made to feel looked after.

We went for dinner last night and it was rubbish.

The food itself was ok (and ok is not really good enough at these prices) but the service was the worst I have ever experienced in this price bracket.

None of the staff seemed to know what to do and the girls waiting on the tables were complete dunderheads who gave the impression they have never waitressed in their lives.

No one offered to take our coats.

Our table was shoehorned into the corner and I literally had to climb over a chair to get into my seat.

No bread rolls offered.

None of the cutlery matched - they all had various different designs and looked ancient.

Bread plates didnt match.

At least 6 different waitresses worked our table and all of them were complete amateurs. One kept wandering about aimlessly clutching her note pad all night.

When the girl came to take our order she arrived with a "what d'yer want then?"

Then other girls came round to ask if we had ordered ...

Starters took about half an hour and were fine.

Mains took a long time - at least another 30-45 mins.

However , they first arrived with mains that should have gone to another table (they put one of the dishes down then had to whisk it away).

My wife had gone off to find someone in charge at this point and a young chap duly came over to apologise and give us some free drinks etc which was nice.

Did we see him again? No - he never followed up at the end.

I dont think he was the manager - I have no clue who was actually in charge.

One main arrived (chateaubriand) without fries or pepper sauce.

Plates were dangerously hot.

Fries then arrived but the wrong type (chunky chips instead of skinny ones)

Two other mains arrived several minutes later - girl announced "Swordfish"? No it was a lemon sole as ordered. One main (sea bass) came on a cold plate with cold sauce

No veg came with mains - had to ask.

Veg came - hard carrots , floppy green beans. Did not try the plain cauli or broccolli. really the worst veg side I have ever had - didnt really compliment my £18 lemon sole...It could have been frozen veg , totally dull.

Passed on puds , ordered latte, espresso and an earl grey tea.

Arrived and were all undrinkable. Got them taken off the bill.

Really lazy , unforgiveable place. Shame as food was OK.

No tip given.

You may think I am being fussy but when you are spending £ 50 a head I expect impeccable service and be made to feel looked after.

You won't be going for christmas lunch then.

Joking apart, your post does read a tad snotty but your point is a valid one.

You don't mind how much it costs if you enjoy the experience.

Thanks for the report I'll give it a miss.

Archived