Who remembers City Hall dances c1954?

Hi, anyone out there remember the City Hall dances- Sat night? c 1954. Into the Foresters Pub first for a couple of drinks for courage, looked after by the lovely Mona (who mothered we girls) and then out to try your luck in the dance. First met my husband there. Happy days.

I used to be a regular at the Saturday night dances whenever the Navy gave me shore leave. I met my wife at a Monday night dance, though I usually did Saturday Night, in 1954. I asked her to dance, and she looked at me like I was a bad smell, though she danced with me. I'd had a few in the Black Swan, and said if you didn't want to dance why bother coming.

We were married 24 years till I lost her in a car accident in Massachusetts in 1979. I remember jiving was frowned on, so we did it all the more. Bob Stanley, the rich guy with his American car was always there on a Saturday night with his entourage of gorgeous blondes in black dresses.

Good old days!

They really were good old days- nice to hear from you. The Black Swan was known locally as the 'Mucky Duck' and was a no-no place for nice girls along with a few other pubs around the city - needless to say I never entered the portals. Pure chicken!

• 3 months later...

Great old days, we used to dance to Bernard Taylor and his band, anyone remember him...

Originally posted by nanrobbo

Hi, anyone out there remember the City Hall dances- Sat night? c 1954. Into the Foresters Pub first for a couple of drinks for courage, looked after by the lovely Mona (who mothered we girls) and then out to try your luck in the dance. First met my husband there. Happy days.

• 1 year later...
Great old days, we used to dance to Bernard Taylor and his band, anyone remember him...
HI I danced to his band for a few years 1944 era, Cyril Ball was MC one night when I had a scrap with a GI, he was dancing the wrong way round bumping into everyone, I said to my partner if he bumps us I will smack him, he did! and sooner than lose face I did as I said, Cyril sorted us on the glass section and threw us both out we shook hands and finished drunk in the Albert , Happy days Arthur.

Hey nanrobbo, I reckon we had a dance at the City, sometime in '54. On the 'lights'. Ah well I can dream cant I?

Ah, yes those square lights on the dance floor,that you always got your stilletto heel caught in. Also can you remember that if you tried to "have a snog" while dancing, a man used to come on the floor and pull you apart. Can you imagine that happening today ?

Ah, yes those square lights on the dance floor,that you always got your stilletto heel caught in. Also can you remember that if you tried to "have a snog" while dancing, a man used to come on the floor and pull you apart. Can you imagine that happening today ?

Yes and the Julip Bar? am I right in thinking it was beer and soft drinks only in there?

I think we used to go on Fridays and alternated between there and Alfred Golds...then we used to go home and pick splinters out of each others feet after the jiving....Drunk as a skunk and not a drop of alcohol:hihi:

Yes and the Julip Bar? am I right in thinking it was beer and soft drinks only in there?

I think we used to go on Fridays and alternated between there and Alfred Golds...then we used to go home and pick splinters out of each others feet after the jiving....Drunk as a skunk and not a drop of alcohol:hihi:

Dont know what the bar was called,but you were so drunk,if you ordered a gin & lime (yuk) they only gave you lime,but charged you for gin.

Dont know what the bar was called,but you were so drunk,if you ordered a gin & lime (yuk) they only gave you lime,but charged you for gin.

Oh, perhaps it was the other bar then in Alfred Golds I'm thinking of. :huh: Never mind, it was a great time.:thumbsup:

Archived