Who remembers City Hall dances c1954?

I never went to the Astoria Ballroom in Nottingham, I know in those days it was considered one of the 'In' places to be at, and like someone said being close to an American Base did'nt hurt either. As I mentioned before on the 'Jazz' thread (I had probably just gotten out of the Army) I went to Dublin to see 'Woody Herman', he and his 'Herd' were truly memorable. If my memory serves me right, there were two perfomances at the Theatre Royal in Dublin, me and couple of pals went to both shows. I'm pretty sure they were organized through the 'Melody Maker' at that time. I suppose, as the Musicians Union ban eased in later years it would have been common to go on side trips to say Manchester and London to take in a concert or two. In my quest for news on 'Ron 'Woody' Wooding', it's definitly not my intention to embarrass or hurt anyones feelings at all, as 'Texas' mentioned, he was a bit of an 'Icon' in his day, I think it would be fun and interesting at the same time to find out more.

I had a few two tone cardigans and then switched to paisley waistcoats in the States. I dion't know why young people decided they look good dressed like tramps. On Saturdays I used to come home from the match and then really spend some time getting ready for the City Hall dance, as did most of my friends. They wouldn't let you in to the place dressed like today's kids in tee-shirt and ragged jeans.

In the USA there are hardly any formal occasions any more and even in nice restuarants you are often sitting next to some guy in shorts and tank top.

Floridablade, I went to the City Hall and the Abbeydale around your time.The bands at the Abbeydale were Collinson's and Gordon Lee do you remember? The singer with Gordon Lee's band was a very attractive girl.She eventually married the Son of the men's cloakroom attendant.

I had a few two tone cardigans and then switched to paisley waistcoats in the States. I dion't know why young people decided they look good dressed like tramps. On Saturdays I used to come home from the match and then really spend some time getting ready for the City Hall dance, as did most of my friends. They wouldn't let you in to the place dressed like today's kids in tee-shirt and ragged jeans.

In the USA there are hardly any formal occasions any more and even in nice restuarants you are often sitting next to some guy in shorts and tank top.

Redneck,yes they do dress more casual in the States, but I don't think a person wearing a sleeveless tank top would be welcome in a restuarant, even down south :D

You couldn't get in the City without a tie, if I remember right. Didn't matter so much if you had the shirt collar undone and the tie pulled down a bit if it was hot, but you had to have a tie.

Your dead right about 'peas in a pod' Nanrobbo, we seem to be going backwards. 'Chemo' head shaves, and 'Hoodies', the peasantry wore those in the Middle Ages. With the price of gas going up and all, we'll be on horseback before you know it. Not for me though, I'm going for the donkey and cart.

What did they call the singer Rhonda? Was she any good?

Texas, I can't remember the singers name it's got lost in the mists of time. But I can remember all the guy's would cluster round when she sang.You never saw anyone without a suit and tie at any of the dance halls did you. And you still got the odd uniform then didn't you because I think they let servicemen in either free or half price. If anyone went in in uniform now they would be beaten up.I remember the last waltz always used to be Fascination. I've tried for years to find Nat King Coles version.

To be honest with you, you could have been sitting next to me if I'd been in Georgia like I was last year. Have you noticed that a tie has almost disappeared even at a wedding or in church.

Redneck,yes they do dress more casual in the States, but I don't think a person wearing a sleeveless tank top would be welcome in a restuarant, even down south :D
I was in the Olive Garden last week, which is not exactly haute cuisine, but I was wearing a golf shirt, shorts and sandals like everybody else. Then again I don't live in Fairfield County.

Texas, I can't remember the singers name it's got lost in the mists of time. But I can remember all the guy's would cluster round when she sang.You never saw anyone without a suit and tie at any of the dance halls did you. And you still got the odd uniform then didn't you because I think they let servicemen in either free or half price. If anyone went in in uniform now they would be beaten up.I remember the last waltz always used to be Fascination. I've tried for years to find Nat King Coles version.

Hi Rhonda, I have a CD of NKC with Fascination on the track. The CD is Nat King Cole- Unforgettable. I would think it is still available- hope you can find it.

Archived