Who remembers City Hall dances c1954?

I remember my cousin asking for two pints and two babies (Babychame), in the Barleycorn. What do you think this is Jessops, said the barman.

My sister and I had a Babychame one night,( I forgot the name of the place, )before going to the City Hall, plain clothes police came in..trouble , we were underaged :(.

They took all our info, and even followed us to the City Hall to see if we were going to drink again, we spotted them:suspect:.

They informed my Mother at work the very nexy day, we were in BIG trouble then.

I remember all those jazzpeople at the City, great days back then. And Barley Wine, powerfull stuff that was. There was Barley Wine's cousin too, Tennant's No1. I remember a guy who would drink a pint glass of that stuff, mentioned a few postings back.

I remember all those jazzpeople at the City, great days back then. And Barley Wine, powerfull stuff that was. There was Barley Wine's cousin too, Tennant's No1. I remember a guy who would drink a pint glass of that stuff, mentioned a few postings back.

Oh Texas, we all use to drink that awfull Barley wine :gag: light or dark ? we did the Dark!

First of all PDWSNAP I remember all the visiting American Jazz Giants you mentioned and saw them all. Cannot recall if the MJQ made more than one appearence in Sheffield, but certainly remember a Christmas Eve performance of theirs. How appropiate, they played their 'God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen', they played it in 'Rounds' and steadily built the theme, I get 'goose bumps' just thinking about it now. So Mr. PDWSNAP if you have read some of my earlier posts, I pose the question to you, did you know or hear of Ron Wooding a.k.a. Woody? He would have been around when you were attending different events at the City Hall. Hi TEXAS if we are talking about the same person, Pete ***** and it sounds as though we are, you have described him pretty good. I could add a few things of my own, but I won't, as i'ts certainly not my intention to offend anyone at all. This is just a light hearted romp down memory lane and I give him some good marks for his affiliation to Ron Wooding.

With regard to Tennants No 1 and Barley wine . They were brought out to celebrate either VE or VJ day i'm not sure which but my boyfriend of the time worked for Tennants and I can remember him bringing it home, straight from the brewery it was like syrup and he only allowed me a thimblefull, I doubt I could have made it to the City let alone danced, Buck I have been looking at another thread which I can't find again. Has your Son returned safe from IRAQ ?

I was talking about Pete Swine, Fleetwood.

Getting back to the No1 and Barley Wine topic, I went in a pub in Jersey many years ago, they had it on the shelves back of the bar. Not wanting to pass up the opportunity for a nostalgic taste, I had one. When I ordered another, the man wouldn't serve me, said it was too strong to have more than one. I could've had as many 'brown boilers' as I liked, and fallen in the yacht basin, but he wouldn't serve me another Barley Wine.

Some years later I did part time on security at the City Hall. Frank Gummer, the manager ran all the concerts. He booked me to bring 6 mates for a pop concert. He told me the name, never heard of them . Two weeks before the concert The Rolling Stones hit the top spot. We turned up on the night and had to fight our way in. I have never earned £10 so hard in my life. Rugby tackles to stop the girls getting on the stage to hug Mick.

Saw some great gigs.

What yea would that be 63 or 4?

With regard to Tennants No 1 and Barley wine . They were brought out to celebrate either VE or VJ day i'm not sure which but my boyfriend of the time worked for Tennants and I can remember him bringing it home, straight from the brewery it was like syrup and he only allowed me a thimblefull, I doubt I could have made it to the City let alone danced, Buck I have been looking at another thread which I can't find again. Has your Son returned safe from IRAQ ?

Are you thinking of Tennants Gold Label ? The little bottle of strong ale called No.1 (Barley Wine) was brewed by Bass. - they also did a No. 2 which was a stout version.

Tennant's Gold Label was in the Guinness Book of Records as the strongest beer on regular sale in the UK, it was later sold under the Whitbread label (and still is I think).

I can remember Bass Barley Wine being sold on draught around Christmas time in the 50s - from a pipkin behind the bar, available in a schooner or half-pint glass...but not by the pint !

I realize that this has only tenuous links with the City, but back in the 50's I bought all my records at Wilson Pecks, no doubt everyone into jazz and popular music did in those days.

I had a regular routine on Saturdays, with money burning a hole in my pocket. Find out the latest jazz releases and into Pecks.

Obviously I couldn't buy them all, but I tried to get to hear as many as possible.

The lady in the record department was really nice, tall woman with glasses, dark hair. She'd give me an old fashioned look when I tried to con her into letting me have four or more records to listen to. She had two assistants, both tall girls, I think one had ginger hair, used to see them dancing with each other ALL the time, down the City. A mate of mine refered to them as being in the 'Le's be friends' pursuasion. Anybody remember them?

Archived