Who remembers City Hall dances c1954?

Don't remember the girls TEXAS, but did'nt a lot of girls dance with one another, when the guys wer'nt being attentive and gawking somewhere else. A friend of mine bought a reel to reel recorder at Wilson Pecks, they only sold good stuff and this was no exception. The make of it was a 'Simon', this was not your run of the mill machine, it weighed a ton (well a lot anyway.) He used to strap onto the back of his motor bike to carry it around. The only reason i'm mentioning this is because i've had a lifelong love affair with r+r machines and i've had a lot over the years. Remember Wilson Pecks other branch on London Rd?

You're right Texas & Fleetwood a lot of girls did dance together but not I think because they were of that persuasion:hihi:. My mate Floss was a tall redhead and we often danced together maybe waiting while some of you lot :love:sobered up a bit?

Of course you're right Nanrobbo, and I should've known better than to imply if two girls dance together they're ??????? etc;etc. But I must point out that it wasn't me who said it, hell, I wouldn't know one even if they had a moustache and wore hobnailed boots.

Yeah, well I've had a very sheltered life nan, so I can't comment on that. Getting back to the trips, anybody go on any to London? We always got booked into the Strand Palace Hotel because they were weekend jobs you understand. The coach would arrive early morning and it was straight down to the Wash and Brushup place on the Thames embankment. Saturday night was the jazz clubs(at least for some). I remember going to a club in Leicester Square, the band was Kenny Graham and the Afro Cubists, and that's going back a few years. I wish I could remember the name of the club. It'd been going for years, pre war I think, had a 'French' name.

Then the shennanigans back at the hotel. I cant remember what we did on the Sunday. They were great trips though. 'Barney' Cummings used to organize them.

You're right Texas & Fleetwood a lot of girls did dance together but not I think because they were of that persuasion:hihi:. My mate Floss was a tall redhead and we often danced together maybe waiting while some of you lot :love:sobered up a bit?

My sister and i would dance together to Google around, remember we would button our cardigans up in the back to make it look like a new jumper, would look a bit daft now wouldn't it ? I wouldn't be seen dead comming out of the City Hall with boots on no matter how much snow was on the ground, i'd rather freeze to death running for he last bus in high heels in deep snow.:loopy:

My sister and i would dance together to Google around, remember we would button our cardigans up in the back to make it look like a new jumper, would look a bit daft now wouldn't it ? I wouldn't be seen dead comming out of the City Hall with boots on no matter how much snow was on the ground, i'd rather freeze to death running for he last bus in high heels in deep snow.:loopy:

Do you also remember those pencil slim skirts we used to totter around in? I never wore very high heels at 5'8" I figured I was tall enough. Boots! who wore boots?:D

Do you also remember those pencil slim skirts we used to totter around in? I never wore very high heels at 5'8" I figured I was tall enough. Boots! who wore boots?:D

And the girls used to wear drape jackets just like the guys, even made out of the same gaberdine and hopsack material, least they did when I was going there. Some wore a spearpoint shirt/blouse with some kind of tie, coupled with the pencil slim skirts you've mentioned. There was a real fashion revolution going on and I don't think people were aware.

Archived