Who remembers City Hall dances c1954?

I got a theory about the gaberdine drapes the girls used to wear. That's one thing I'm never short of, theories. Well my theory is that it was inspired by the 'hip' girl singers in the late 40's, Anita O'Day, June Christy, and so on. They wore suits like that. In a way they were like band uniforms but sharper. But it was a fleeting fashion revolution like you say. Look at 'Chan' Parker, 'Bird's piece of squeeze, she wore gear like that, It was 'hip', and the chicas at the City were the hippest.

You are so right TEXAS, always enjoy the TEXASMANS input. What I think was, I think the girls took it a step further and created their own unique fashion statement. I suppose this was happening in other towns to some degree also. Then in the bigger picture, was it a worldwide event with everybody having their own take on this style? But in the big picture without the aid of today's electronic media, where fashion can flash around the world in seconds, I think the Sheffield lasses were smashing.

First of all PDWSNAP I remember all the visiting American Jazz Giants you mentioned and saw them all. Cannot recall if the MJQ made more than one appearence in Sheffield, but certainly remember a Christmas Eve performance of theirs. How appropiate, they played their 'God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen', they played it in 'Rounds' and steadily built the theme, I get 'goose bumps' just thinking about it now. So Mr. PDWSNAP if you have read some of my earlier posts, I pose the question to you, did you know or hear of Ron Wooding a.k.a. Woody? He would have been around when you were attending different events at the City Hall. Hi TEXAS if we are talking about the same person, Pete ***** and it sounds as though we are, you have described him pretty good. I could add a few things of my own, but I won't, as i'ts certainly not my intention to offend anyone at all. This is just a light hearted romp down memory lane and I give him some good marks for his affiliation to Ron Wooding.

Sorry to be so late in replying but somehow I missed this. No, I never knew Ron Wooding. Who and what was he? I remember that MJQ concert very well. I saw them all there with the exception of Lionel Hampton. I was in hospital at the time. I still have all the programmes.

Two things I remember specially. Louis Armstrong was one. You know how the City Hall is built, those massive stone walls. I have been outside there when the Halle Orchestra was playing and couldn't hear a thing. We had to leave Louis' concert just before it ended to catch the last bus home. He was playing an encore. When we got outside, he could be heard and people were standing listening. It wasn't the volume he made but the quality of sound.

The other was when we went to see the Dutch Swing College. They had a small band on before them, someone we had never heard of, Acker Bilk. He stole the show and look where he went afterwards.

Don't remember the girls TEXAS, but did'nt a lot of girls dance with one another, when the guys wer'nt being attentive and gawking somewhere else. A friend of mine bought a reel to reel recorder at Wilson Pecks, they only sold good stuff and this was no exception. The make of it was a 'Simon', this was not your run of the mill machine, it weighed a ton (well a lot anyway.) He used to strap onto the back of his motor bike to carry it around. The only reason i'm mentioning this is because i've had a lifelong love affair with r+r machines and i've had a lot over the years. Remember Wilson Pecks other branch on London Rd?

I remember that Wilson Pecks on London Rd. In fact I bought my first record there, a 78 but can't remember what it was. Talking about music machines? Do you remember the Pye Black box and how it revolutionised sound quality? I bought one in 1957 and still have it. My first rtor I had I built myself using a Collaro Transcription deck, the one with the massive flywheel. In later years, I designed and built my own electronics. I still have the thing but the one in use is a Dokorder though I don't actually use it anymore. The tapes heve deteriorated so much. In fact some years ago, I transferred them all to cassetes. Now I'm putting stuff on DVDs but I'll never finish the job.

Fleetwood, the advantage of going to the City, was also the chance to meet some of the Stars of the day who invariably once they done their thing upstairs used to come into the dance. Ted Heath was at there one night and his vocalist was Paul Carpenter who came down for a dance with his friend Bonar Colleno (spelling not sure) he was a film star of the time. I can't remember the name of the drummer but he was fantastic. I danced with Bonar Colleno but was absolutely terrified. Dickie Valentine was another one who was there with Johnny Spitzer the manager od the Empire do you remember him?

Rhonda, I was at that Ted Heath concert. I had never been to a live music concert so, on an impulse, I went into Wilson Peck's and bought a ticket. I still don't know why I picked that concert as I had never heard of Ted Heath. But what an experience and it really launched me into Big Band. He's still top of my list. Do you have the CDs of the Last Concert?

Rhonda, I was at that Ted Heath concert. I had never been to a live music concert so, on an impulse, I went into Wilson Peck's and bought a ticket. I still don't know why I picked that concert as I had never heard of Ted Heath. But what an experience and it really launched me into Big Band. He's still top of my list. Do you have the CDs of the Last Concert?

Rhonda, I forgot to add. The drummer was Jack Parnell.

I always try remember the song Ted Heath wrote for his wife during the war.

It's a haunting tune.

I haven't said thanks for that lovely weekend

Those two days of heaven til we meet again

so keep smiing my darling and some day we'll spend

a lifetime of ?? on that lovely weekend

you had to go -----

Nanrobbo,I loved Al Hibblers version the best but I think Jimmy Youngs made the top here in England.I have still got both these somewhere. I have still got the pink record player too I guess I should have a clearout before I get any older. Like the rest at that time I used to go out with friends on Saturday afternoon to listen to and my friends used to occasionally buy the latest. (I hadn't a player then) . Then all meet up in the evening for the dance. In those days I had a nickname " Golden Earrings" embarrasing or what. !!

Archived