Who remembers City Hall dances c1954?

Thankyou for those kind thoughts Rhonda, although I must admit I live a long, long way from Galveston. In fact I'm located on the South coast of the U.K. The 'Texas' pseudonym refers to my nickname at Pye Bank school many years ago. Also the name is on my favorit coffee mug.

If pdewsnap reads this, I've sent you a private message.

• 2 months later...

I was playing a compilation tape a few days ago and a track came up ''Walking my Baby back Home'', Nat Cole, you remember that you City goers?

Anyhow, It reminded me of a guy that hung around the bottom corner, nickname of ''Buckets'', because every time the line came ''and snuggled her head to my chest'' he would beat his and say ''big chest''.

G** almighty, what some people remember, why do things like this stick in your memory?

He was a short stocky guy, went out with a girl who had a friend called Valerie Parker, who incidently, I went out with for a while.

Anybody remember him?

There were a few market lads went down the City mid 50's, you know dealers, 'wideheads', some on the edge of criminality, and a few pseuds and 'wannabees'. They had a certain way of standing. It was like feet together, slightly hunched shoulders, head moving this way and that, shifty looking, and most importantly the hands, palms backward, fingers slightly curled. Anybody recognise what I mean or was it just a personal observation on my part.

I remember the stand Texas but I think a lot of them were hod carriers for Hodkin & Jones. It used to amuse me to see the bricklayers and hod carriers climbing on the back of lorries in Fitzallan Square, all wearing their old Barney Goodman suits.

I remember the stand Texas but I think a lot of them were hod carriers for Hodkin & Jones. It used to amuse me to see the bricklayers and hod carriers climbing on the back of lorries in Fitzallan Square, all wearing their old Barney Goodman suits.

:hihi: Those Barney Goodman suits always looked like they still had the coat hangers in them, didn't they ? They were expensive to have them made too.

Thankyou for those kind thoughts Rhonda, although I must admit I live a long, long way from Galveston. In fact I'm located on the South coast of the U.K. The 'Texas' pseudonym refers to my nickname at Pye Bank school many years ago. Also the name is on my favorit coffee mug.

If pdewsnap reads this, I've sent you a private message.

Hello, Texas. Sorry, but I have only just found your message where you say you have written to me privately. Unfortunately, I did not receive it so perhaps you might try again.

Peter D

pdewsnap, I can't actually remember the details but I think it was a piece on the Musicians Union site - Local 802 - New York. It was a anecdote by a trombone player, very funny. Unfortunatly I can't get on there just now, there seems to be some fault or other.

• 1 month later...

I've just been thro' this topic again 'cause I'm a sucker for nostalgia. I was trying to remember names and faces, like you do, and I remembered a girl who used to to go down there fairly regular, her name was Pat Moratti/Moretti I think. Italian sounding,no? She had a friend called June. They were both knockout looking. Anyhow, she got married, Pat that is, to a guy called Roy Winsone and moved to London. He worked at the BBC. Do these names press any buzzers?

• 1 year later...

Jeff, I remember those dances in the late 40s and early 50s. I met my wife there and we would be there every Saturday evening and, sometimes at the tea dance. At one time, we were chucked off the floor. We had learned the proper steps to the Samba and were dancing it when we were accused of eccentric dancing and thrown off. I remember Bernard Taylor's band too, a grand group and I became friends with several of them, especially Harold Coates, their first trombone who taught me to play the instrument.

Peter D South Carolina

Archived