Who remembers City Hall dances c1954?

So did we:hihi: I bet we had a dance at some time.:thumbsup:

Ha! thats where we stood too, my sister and I would dance together around the edge of the dancefloor to see you was there, she had bad eyesite so I had to tell her who I could see and where they stood, didn't matter who 'Led' after a few Barley wines ,(Dark) ones of course .

Then running to get the last bus home, once in a while we would get a free taxi ride home with Trevor Carnell, he started out with taxies, then went onto having his own coaches.

Oh and what about "after" the dance?...can you remember dashing for the "last bus"?.....the feeling in the pit of your stomach if the whistle went before you quite made it, knowing that you were in deep trouble when you DID get home.

It went at 11.15 and the revving of the buses and then the roar as they left Pond St, then the eerie silence and diesal fumes after they'd gone. To this day I can't hear a whistle without thinking of that and yes.....I did miss the bus ....lots......:hihi:

Ha! thats where we stood too, my sister and I would dance together around the edge of the dancefloor to see you was there, she had bad eyesite so I had to tell her who I could see and where they stood, didn't matter who 'Led' after a few Barley wines ,(Dark) ones of course .

Then running to get the last bus home, once in a while we would get a free taxi ride home with Trevor Carnell, he started out with taxies, then went onto having his own coaches.

This reminds me of my friend who couldn't see without her glasses but wouldn't wear them when we were out.

Used to come back after a dance and ask what the boy was like who she'd been dancing with.:hihi:

Yes, and those damned bus drivers could see you running for it, they must have had a good laugh , they wouldn't even slow down to let you get on, I swear they waited to see someone running before leaving.:rant:

Remember our spike heels would get worn 'under' it was like walking backwards until you could get them re-heeled, the leather on my spikes was always ripped , you could see the steel. Id put on those clip on bows to make them look like new (from the front).

Yes, everybody would stand more or less in the same place week after week.

When I first went to the City I'd stand on the right hand side facing the bandstand, anywhere down there. When I got out of the Military in '53, everybody I'd known before had gone to the other side, in the bottom doorway, opposite the side of the bandstand, and that's where I stayed. If I was in a predatory frame of mind (if you know what I mean), I'd move around a bit, but generally, right hand side, bottom doorway.

Remember the sort of annexe, the other ballroom on the right hand side. Like Outer Mongolia that was, and just as cold. All the proper ballroom dancers went into there to strut their stuff, awful. No offence intended. Yeah right.

I have only just noticed this post has been 'revived', I had thought only Buck and myself had memories. Been really great reading your reminiscing.

JoanL you hit the nail on the head- we are still those sweet sixteens inside, in my case pity about the outside:hihi:

Timbuck I really don't remember a snack bar, too busy eyeing up the boys and wondering which one my mate would allocate to me (she always got first pick).

Did anyone else go into the Forresters, which was just up from the City Hall?

It was a great pub and always had the latest records, Mona was the landlady and made sure we girls weren't bothered by drunks.

You and I have got to have danced witrh each other,I've probably danced with every girl in the place at some time or another and I was a regular in the Forresters. In 1954 I was lucky enough to be stationed near Manchester so could get home most weekends. I used to come on a motor bike. My cousin Ernie and I were great jivers and always being told to stop.

When I came out of the army in 55 the only glasses I had were army issue and looked like a stainless steel bycycle so I would take them off before going into the dance. I had to rely on my pal Jeff to pick likely partners and sometimes I wasn't sure how good a friend he was.

He did, however, manage to steer me to my then future wife's girl friend so things worked out OK after all.

Archived