Who remembers City Hall dances c1954?

When I came out of the army in 55 the only glasses I had were army issue and looked like a stainless steel bycycle so I would take them off before going into the dance. I had to rely on my pal Jeff to pick likely partners and sometimes I wasn't sure how good a friend he was.

He did, however, manage to steer me to my then future wife's girl friend so things worked out OK after all.

Yes, I was also shortsighted. You darent wear glasses or you would never get a partner.My sister was my "eyes".When someone walked up to me for a dance, if she coughed once ,it meant "dont bother" if she coughed twice it meant "grab him quick"

You and I have got to have danced witrh each other,I've probably danced with every girl in the place at some time or another and I was a regular in the Forresters. In 1954 I was lucky enough to be stationed near Manchester so could get home most weekends. I used to come on a motor bike. My cousin Ernie and I were great jivers and always being told to stop.

I quite probably did Buck, but only if you had a mate with you- my friend and I never 'split'- we knew all about you 'fast' lot of jivers. :) Gosh they were happy days tho' weren't they. I met my husband in the City Hall- still got the handsome old devil too.:D

These if I remember correctly they were Municipal run dances, surely some of you remember the the Company (employers) run dances with licensed bars on Fridays at the City hall and Cutlers hall.

nanrobbo

I remember the forresters on Division street, but I'm not sure if its still there or not.

Do you remember the Albert/ Minerva (SAM and Lil)/ Red Lyon/ Barley Corn(a little bit taboo for us this one) and the two big pubs opposite the bottom of Cambridge street at the top of Moorhead some of these were on our hit list before going to the city hall strange that we appeared to have our fill of booze and yet there did not seem to be as much trouble as the present day.

Yea I remember seeing those pubs but they were off-limits to us 'cos my mates older brother would check on us from time to time:hihi: I think the Forresters was the only pub we were allowed to go in- oh and a couple down Ecclesfield way on Sunday. And do you know I don't remember any real trouble just some numskulls now and then being asked to leave for being rowdy. My husband probably visited the same pubs you mentioned- he got about a bit before I got him:D

I quite probably did Buck, but only if you had a mate with you- my friend and I never 'split'- we knew all about you 'fast' lot of jivers. :) Gosh they were happy days tho' weren't they. I met my husband in the City Hall- still got the handsome old devil too.:D
I knew about you ladies and your "friends". I started dating this girl I met there, and when I went back to sea, I got a letter from her saying she couldn't go out with me any more cos her friend didn't like me. Fortunately, there was another letter from her at the same time telling me what a jerk her friend was and she was sorry. We were married for 23 years.

Does anyone remember the buskers that used to entertain us while we queued up to go in the dance?

There was the little guy who played spoons, a guy who played the bagpipes in full highland dress, another one who played the violin. But the funniest were the Jehovah's Witnesses. I remember one of them had a speech impediment and his punch line was. "You'll all go to hell and the fiddler as well".

We're all out in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and the United States reminiscing about a beloved city that was. From what I read from other SFers its not much like that today, Pity.

Just hitting a bad spot I think- never keep a true Sheffielder down- my brother still lives there and other relatives,

Friday nights we used to do the tour of West St pubs then down Division St and ended up at the Forresters, then into the City Hall before they closed the doors,it was suprising how many married girls were there without their husbands on a Friday night,

I once went to the tea dance that was on Saturday in the afternoon, just for a laugh, it was full of middle aged women that couldn't keep their hands to themselves, I reckon I got a better education from that one day than any other day spent in school, I wish we had had mobile phones in those days.

Great Memories.

Does anyone remember the buskers that used to entertain us while we queued up to go in the dance?

There was the little guy who played spoons, a guy who played the bagpipes in full highland dress, another one who played the violin. But the funniest were the Jehovah's Witnesses. I remember one of them had a speech impediment and his punch line was. "You'll all go to hell and the fiddler as well".

The other great venue on a Sunday night was the Hippodrome cinema, after a very boring Sunday imposed on us by the godly. The buskers used to come over from the City Hall like they'd been waiting all night and all day just to entertain us. The Scotsman got the surprise of his life one night when somebody let off a banger right under his kilt. Yhe bagpipes went up three octaves.

Archived