Who remembers City Hall dances c1954?

Undoubtedly the City Hall was King. I think when the Locarno opened it took a part of the crowd from the City. We tended to go to the Locarno on Friday and the City on Saturday.

But that was in the late 50's. In the earlier years, for a change, we'd occasionaly go to the Rotherham Baths, or Glossop Road. Sometime's (heaven forbid) the Cutlers, even made a few visits to the Clifton Hall at Rotherham, they'd let you Jive there. Nether Edge Hall was another. But City was King.

Undoubtedly the City Hall was King. I think when the Locarno opened it took a part of the crowd from the City. We tended to go to the Locarno on Friday and the City on Saturday.

But that was in the late 50's. In the earlier years, for a change, we'd occasionaly go to the Rotherham Baths, or Glossop Road. Sometime's (heaven forbid) the Cutlers, even made a few visits to the Clifton Hall at Rotherham, they'd let you Jive there. Nether Edge Hall was another. But City was King.

Texas I had forgotten the Rotherham Baths ( or tried to) I only went there once and was beseiged by would be suitors:D Frightened the living daylights outta me and my mate. Never went again:help: Maybe our loss???

So, you tried to forget the Rotherham Baths, who wouldn't. If you lived in Sheffield, do you remember having to catch the last train from Masboro' station back to Sheffield, full of smoke, beer fumes, and Lord knows what else. We earned our pleasures in those days.

Does anyone remember the buskers that used to entertain us while we queued up to go in the dance?

There was the little guy who played spoons, a guy who played the bagpipes in full highland dress, another one who played the violin. But the funniest were the Jehovah's Witnesses. I remember one of them had a speech impediment and his punch line was. "You'll all go to hell and the fiddler as well".

Ah, yes I can remember the religious freaks, who used to walk up & down with their placards, telling us we would "Go to Hell" . We used to giggle at them,and the lads in the queue used to use words I cant use on here. :D

So, you tried to forget the Rotherham Baths, who wouldn't. If you lived in Sheffield, do you remember having to catch the last train from Masboro' station back to Sheffield, full of smoke, beer fumes, and Lord knows what else. We earned our pleasures in those days.

Well I only went the once but I do remember that- gross! I was lucky that I always stayed at my mates house or Dad would have marmalized me- Her Dad was a BIT more flexible. Gosh I haven't thought of some of these things for decades- good to reminisce though.

• 1 month later...
Well I only went the once but I do remember that- gross! I was lucky that I always stayed at my mates house or Dad would have marmalized me- Her Dad was a BIT more flexible. Gosh I haven't thought of some of these things for decades- good to reminisce though.

I'm sorry to see the comments about Rotherham Baths.Went to City Hall dances from 1949 to 1951 but often went to Rotherham also - they had some pretty big bands now and again.Anybody know what Bob Stanley did for a living and what happened to him?

• 4 weeks later...

I remember that, when he danced, it was almost a majestic sail around the floor look straight ahead and keep going. Anyway, I found out that he bought all his suits at Barney Goodman's so I saved and saved and was eventually able to go down and get measured for a wonderful hounds-tooth job. Had to wait 6 months for it but finally I got it and wore it to the next City Hall dance - for some reason I wasn't mobbed by any blondes in black dresses!!

I remember that, when he danced, it was almost a majestic sail around the floor look straight ahead and keep going. Anyway, I found out that he bought all his suits at Barney Goodman's so I saved and saved and was eventually able to go down and get measured for a wonderful hounds-tooth job. Had to wait 6 months for it but finally I got it and wore it to the next City Hall dance - for some reason I wasn't mobbed by any blondes in black dresses!!
Never mind Mate, some of those Georgia peaches are nice to look at. Worked in Savannah at Union Camp paper mill. One of my favorite cities.

My husband longed for a BG suit- finally bought one which he wore as his wedding suit- and I wouldn't let him be mobbed by blondes after that.:hihi:

No problem Nanrobbo, the suit didn't work and I could only just afford a bike let alone an American car - so no blondes in black dresses.

What happened to the dances at the Rotherham Baths that they became so gross. If I am not mistaken, Duke Ellington played there once and he remembered the place when I saw him in Detroit some years later. But I suppose all these events go downhill after a whle.

Archived