Cross Bedford St - Peninsula, can you remember?

Miss M

Hello Harvey

My Aunt and Uncle were named Gilliott or Gillott. Harry and Doris.

My Uncle Harry was in the spitfires during the war and his plane was shot down. He was never the same again, he had lost an arm and could only speak a few words.

As child I was frightened of him which was such a shame as I could just remember him as he was before the war.when he was a dashing young man and had a motor bike.

The lived on the left side approaching Bentons in a yard with a big entrance.

hazel

the undertakers is now an apartment block - very nice too. apparently there is a tunnel leading from it to the tesco as it used to be the hospital. Anyone else heard this?
I've also heard about a tunnel leading to Tomlinson's but I think it's a myth. However there definitely were tunnels linking the various buildings of the old Royal Infirmary nearby. I was a "resident" there for three months in 1972 after an accident, and one of the porters showed me the tunnels. They might still be there - the central part of the hospital (built 1797) is a listed building and is still there as is the elaborate "round house" behind which was the outpatients' department, also the old nurses' home at the back.

wow, its great that everyone knows it, and I just love Lizzie the elephant - infact so much Iv'e put the picture on my memory stick and I'm going to print and frame it!!! And when people ask "why is there a pic of an elephant on your wall"... I'll say "she used to live here!!"

xx

...I just love Lizzie the elephant - infact so much Iv'e put the picture on my memory stick and I'm going to print and frame it!...
There are some photos of Lizzie on the www.picturesheffield.com site - here's one - and you can order high-quality enlargements on-line via the site. I have some of Hillsborough and they are excellent prints (£8.+.p.&.p for a 10" x 8" enlargement).

Here are maps of the area of 1914 and 1963.

Can anyone remember the Home Bakery that was on Cross Bedford Street right up until the early 70's?It was at number 62 and was owned and run by my uncle's family.The house still stands,probably the only original building left there now and is inhabited by my cousin and his family.The "Bakehouse" was accessed through the large gates to the side of the house and you had to walk through a covered yard,where the delivery vans were loaded and through an open yard to the building where the bakery was.

This was a converted stable,I think as I have distant memories of old half split doors and iron tethers sunk into the walls.My mother worked there and I recall spending many happy hours there as a youngster,getting in the way and watching the Bakers at work.

If I remember correctly they had two shops,one on Langsett Rd,(somewhere near The Masons Arms?) and one at Malin Bridge,on the corner of Loxley Rd opposite the Yew Tree Inn,but supplied many other shops and cafe's daily.

The buildings that now surround the house were built by Rotary Electrical in the late 60's early 70's and completely took over the area,I think my uncle was offered a small fortune for the premises but would never sell,henceforth they were hemmed in by the factory buildings and still are but the buildings are now part of St Thomas Church,used for conferencing etc.

It all came to an end when the ancient gas ovens were condemned and were going to cost more to replace than the business could ever recoup.It must have been a thriving area at some time as there was lots of terraced housing,shops and other industries there,but I just thought I'd share with you a little tiny piece of the old times.

Edited by Bikerdave

There are some wierd buildings built up next to the church, although not on cross bedford street exactly - theyre on albert terrace street. They're next to what used to be the HUngry Wolf cafe on the corner near the tram lines. I've called the council numerous times about them as they're fallin down, water is pouring down th street from the front door and kids can just walk straight in. They need to be condemned but no one knows who owns them?

• 4 weeks later...
I used to visit my grandparents in the 40s/50s who lived on Bedford St just opposite Cross Bedford St. I used to buy at Benton''s his version of ice lollies, a square of ice with tyzer in for 1d

My Aunt and Uncle lived on Cross Bedford, as far as I can remember in a yard of back to back houses but I'm not sure if the wall of Tomlison's was at the back of the yard their house fronted C Bedford St

My Dad used to say that Tommy Ward's elephant was stabled at Tomlinson's because they had a large entrance which probably was originaly for coach and horses.

hazel

hi Hazel I remember your uncle He lived just behind us across from the Matkins In the yard where the matkins kept dray horses Mr Matkin delivered Beer for the brewery using a horse and cart.Your uncle could only say Bloody Hell Aye when asked a question.He was a lovely man I dont remember being afraid of him,my grandmother told us his history so we knew not to be afraid .I was telling my daughter a story recently about the time when Mr Gilliot moved away from cross bedford street and the house was empty I found some old wallpaper and decorated the kitchen in his house. Having a great time down memory lane.Best wishes shelagh muscroft

Can anyone remember the Home Bakery that was on Cross Bedford Street right up until the early 70's?It was at number 62 and was owned and run by my uncle's family.The house still stands,probably the only original building left there now and is inhabited by my cousin and his family.The "Bakehouse" was accessed through the large gates to the side of the house and you had to walk through a covered yard,where the delivery vans were loaded and through an open yard to the building where the bakery was.

This was a converted stable,I think as I have distant memories of old half split doors and iron tethers sunk into the walls.My mother worked there and I recall spending many happy hours there as a youngster,getting in the way and watching the Bakers at work.

If I remember correctly they had two shops,one on Langsett Rd,(somewhere near The Masons Arms?) and one at Malin Bridge,on the corner of Loxley Rd opposite the Yew Tree Inn,but supplied many other shops and cafe's daily.

The buildings that now surround the house were built by Rotary Electrical in the late 60's early 70's and completely took over the area,I think my uncle was offered a small fortune for the premises but would never sell,henceforth they were hemmed in by the factory buildings and still are but the buildings are now part of St Thomas Church,used for conferencing etc.

It all came to an end when the ancient gas ovens were condemned and were going to cost more to replace than the business could ever recoup.It must have been a thriving area at some time as there was lots of terraced housing,shops and other industries there,but I just thought I'd share with you a little tiny piece of the old times.

Hi Dave

I remember buying stale buns for 1 penny from the bakery on my way to Philadelphia school. Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Did you have a big dog that used to sit in the entry or was that my imagination? . Best wishes Shelagh Muscroft