Memorable concerts at the City Hall

oldiegirl

First concert I ever went to was Elton John before he was a megastar. My friends brother took us and Elton was fabulous , then the friends brother and his girlfriend took us in a pub after the gig even though we were under age and bought us a drink, swearing us to secrecy from his mum:hihi: My most memorable concert though was Roxy Music when I was 18 when a whole load of us went and we took up a whole row. The concert was fantastic but the thing I remember most was that it was the first time my friends had met the now Mr G and I was a bit nervous hoping they would like him. So h turned up in the full white tuxedo and red rose get up a'la Bryan Ferry , God I thought he looked gorgeous :heyhey: they liked him ,but he felt like a pillock when bryan came on wearing a goucho outfit:hihi: He wasnt alone though cos there must have been hundreds of guys wearing the tuxedo look that night.

Wow people have seen some good stuff there!

People I can remember seeing at the City hall

A-ha! My friend and I jumped up and down so much we broke the seats!

Then Jericho. Not quite stood the test of time. Mark threw himself in the crowd which was probably not the right thing to do to a crowd of 14 year olds.

Robert Palmer - fabulous!

Level 42 - a couple of times - great fun!

Spandau Ballet - my friend cried on me and got mascara on my top

Everything but the girl - this was pre electro days and they were great!

The Style council - i was in complete awe at this one.

Last Shadow Puppets - better than all the Arctic monkeys gigs i've been to.

Beautiful south. Great gig - was a bit of a curveball as they'd always done the arena and went back there the following year.

Squeeze - great!

I've also seen comedy artists several times and other shows as well. Think it's a good venue for comedy but not so great for music.

Interesting list of decades here, anyway i went to most of my concerts there in 1972-74 and saw Slade (backed by Alex Harvey), Sweet, Wizzard, David Bowie, Mud backed by Sweet Sensation), The Hollies...The Hollies recorded there live album there in 1974 and Hot Chocolate was cancelled because they only sold 8 tickets.

The Searchers, Helen Shapiro, Billy J Kramer, Freddie and the Dreamers, Cilla and Little Richard - I also saw Billy Fury at the Cinema opposite the City Hall - he had a broken or sprained arm and I am sure the Stones were a support group. Unfortunately its a bit of a blur after all these years

1968, Memorial Hall. Tyrannosaurus Rex as a 2 piece acoustic duo comprising Marc Bolan with original percussionist Steve Peregrine Took (later replaced by Mickey Finn).

The show was introduced by the great John Peel and on the same bill was another band he used to champion, The Liverpool Scene. They were a music, poetry and comedy outfit featuring Adrian Henri and Andy Roberts plus others.

Although I saw dozens of shows at the Oval Hall, this was the only concert I ever saw at the much smaller Memorial Hall located at the rear of the City Hall.

Edited by mojoworking