Memorable concerts at the City Hall

oldiegirl

Sammy Hagar (Standing Hampton Tour),so much better before he went ino VH, Saxon, Gillan (boy did he wail), Ozzy, Motley Crue, Ratt, Monkees, Mammoth, Mr Big, Thunder, Robert Plant x2, Jethro Tull x2, Whitesnake (past their best), Bad Company x2 (just how awesome is Paul Rodgers???1), Deep Purple, Dave Lee Roth (good - but better with VH at Donnington 84) and Tangerine Dream (Back of my head is on the album cover - honest). Probably more but need to sneak in attic to dig out old programmes. I'm sure Saxon were only £3 or thereabouts. Thats just your booking fee these days!

• 10 years later...

1971 - Steamhammer, John Mayall, Cat Stevens, Incredible String Band, Canned Heat, King Crimson, Buffy St Marie supported by Loudon Wainwright, 1972 - Free, Wishbone Ash, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Groundhogs, 1973 - Focus, Genesis, Roxy Music, Captain Beefheart & the Magic Band, Gary Glitter, Man, 1974 - Sensational Alex Harvey Band, 1975 - Supertramp, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Dr Feelgood, 1977 - Be Bop Deluxe, 1979 - Elvis Costello, Bill Nelson's Red Noise, Manfred Mann's Earth Band, Ian Dury, 1983 - Toyah, 

1986 - Big Country, 1988 - Robert Plant, 1994 - The Wonderstuff,  1996 - Manic Street Preachers, 1997 - Del Amitri,  Lightning Seeds,  2000 - Alice Cooper,  2003 - Erasure,  2008 - Stephen Stills,  2011 - 10cc,  David Crosby & Graham Nash,  Yes.  And many more less well known artists.   

On 02/02/2010 at 11:52, Puffin4 said:

I remember all the jazz concerts of the 1950's, Humph. Barber, Ball, Welsh, Mick Mulligan with George Melly, Colyer, Sunshine, Donegan etc. Also the big bands, Dankworth, Parnell, Squadronaires, Heath, Mackintosh. I saw George Lewis on his first tour, with Colyer, Jack Teagarden, Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee, Big Bill Broonzy and many more. I also, on a higher note, went to a couple of Halle concerts, with the school.

Mike

A liitle trivia.

On afternoon, I'm in a hotel bar in Toronto, and the old guy on the next stool is Johnny Dankworth. The bartender introduces us.

A very friendly guy. We had a great conversation about 50's bands, and all his friends in the business. It was like our old wireless had come alive.

Then in comes his wife. She's anxious to get him away, and not at all interested in our trip down memory lane. He tells her to relax, there's plenty of time to kill. But she's not used to being ignored, she is a Diva, and the conversation was not about her. She comes back again and glares at me, and finally drags him away.

Dame Cleo Lane. I felt a little sorry for him, a great guy!

RIP Sir Johnny!

Edited by trastrick

• 1 month later...