Elizabeth abrahams is the father unkown

roughy101

cant belaieve how many children were born out of wedlock,i will let you all know whats on the certificate;)

You're lucky to get that far back, I can't get past my father in my paternal line, he's got an "Informant" on his birth certificate who no-one has ever heard of!

Duffems

Hi,

Like I mentioned in an earlier post you will probably never know. Amelia was not even a Bright at the time of Elizabeths birth as they married afterwards but the certificate names her Bright. There is obviously some sort of twist in your tale but you will never know !!!!!!

Hi,

Like I mentioned in an earlier post you will probably never know. Amelia was not even a Bright at the time of Elizabeths birth as they married afterwards but the certificate names her Bright. There is obviously some sort of twist in your tale but you will never know !!!!!!

he probably wasnt her father an never let her forget it so she reverted to her mothers maiden name,but why did amelia revert to abraham on elizabeths marriage cert.george and amelia were still together in 1891.

Perhaps she didn't, Elizabeth could have done this on her behalf ? Maybe she didn't even attend the wedding and Abrahams is the name Elizabeth gave the person filling out the certificate and register. It sounds like you are probably right, George was not her Dad and this caused some kind of fued. Given that the name on a MC is usually that of the father you will probably have to assume that Elizabeth didn't know who her father was or she would have named him ?

When I married some 40 years ago the vicar asked my father's name and occupation, I explained that my parents were divorced and that I hadn't seen my father for many years so I neither knew nor cared whether he was still alive let alone his occupation.

The vicar entered the name which I gave to him which quite frankly could have been any name as there were no checks made.

It is a legal requirement to enter the name & occupation of the fathers of the bride and groom on a marriage registration but, the information is that given by the marrying couple, this has always been the case.

I have a 3x great grandmother who reverted to the name of her first husband even though he had been transported to Australia years earlier and she'd remarried, maybe he was her one true love, who knows, it's one of family history's little enigmas!

Archived