Regarding Biscuit Barrels

Texas

I'm impressed, carosio. I didn't think Hilversum still existed as a radio station. What year is the radio in the picture? It looks like a 60's model or early 70's.

But I digress. All these different biscuit barrels. The type I had in mind when I posted was a wooden one, shaped like a typical barrel, with a silver lid and handle, and possibly a simple plate shaped like a coat of arms on the barrel itself. They must be collectable, although I haven't seen that they are anywhere. If anyone has biscuits in our house nowadays they eat them straight out the packet, or put them on a plate. Our barrel is in a cupboard full of buttons and bits of wool.

.... The type I had in mind when I posted was a wooden one, shaped like a typical barrel, with a silver lid and handle, and possibly a simple plate shaped like a coat of arms on the barrel itself. They must be collectable...
Indeed they are (though maybe not valuable) but they do turn up on eBay..Here are two more :)

We had a biscuit barrel on the end of the sideboard when I was a kid but I hated eating the biscuits out of it as mum would put a mixture in and I thought all the different flavoures rubbed off on the biscuits and made them taste funny. I used to insist mum let me have mine out of the packet.

My Mum loved her 'highy polished' sideboard and you DARE NOT put anything at all on there, you were'nt allowed to touch it :hihi:She had some wooden fruit in a bowl on there for years and she used to say they were made form Monkey Pod whatever that is :confused:she loved that too !

Hi nefertari - here's a bowl of fruit made from Monkey Pod wood.

And here's my late mother's biscuit barrel, still very much in use (as my waistline testifies...).;)

Your late mums is exactly the same as the one we still use.A different pattern though.We got it as a present some 40-50 years ago and it is still going strong even though we use it every day.

Archived