Is god moral? Interesting biblical question.

Is the definition of the morality of God dictated by our actions? We do good so therefore God must exist. Without us (humans) God can't exist because we are the channel/vehicle for his greatness/altruism (he doesn't need show himself, he has us as living proof he exists). When the Sun engulfs this planet does God cease to be? Or do we all just continue the journey with "it" in Heaven...or Hell? If the answer is we live on in paradise....why not just cut out the middle bit and rock on in heaven and forget the earthly bit. Why "it" has to be so mysterious mystifies me...then again the old cynic in me tells me it's a cracking excuse for one human to dictate to another.

JUST A THOUGHT!!:confused:

Asuming that there is a god, would'nt his/her motives and sudsequent actions ultimately be to serve the "greater good"?.. if so, the ethics and moral values that define good and bad in the literal sense would'nt apply.

That would be the second part of Euthyphro dilemma.

This would mean Fred Phelps is right.

It could also be argued that slavery is morally right, but we cannot see it. I actually saw a black guy making this very claim on tv recently. :loopy:

Is the definition of the morality of God dictated by our actions? We do good so therefore God must exist. Without us (humans) God can't exist because we are the channel/vehicle for his greatness/altruism (he doesn't need show himself, he has us as living proof he exists). When the Sun engulfs this planet does God cease to be? Or do we all just continue the journey with "it" in Heaven...or Hell? If the answer is we live on in paradise....why not just cut out the middle bit and rock on in heaven and forget the earthly bit. Why "it" has to be so mysterious mystifies me...then again the old cynic in me tells me it's a cracking excuse for one human to dictate to another.

If the creator of all things did decide to show him/herself to the world, and in doing so, proves beyond doutb that eternal life is ours if we follow the word. Would we be following him/her through faith... or would it be through fear??.

I suppose fiath is for the individual.. Knowledge is for the masses....

Personally, I don't beleive in god, but that does'nt stop me fearing him.:huh:

It would be exceptionally short-sighted to ascribe the human concept of morality on a divine being, who has the power to (potentially) bring the universe into being...

Do as I say not as I do.. in short!!

milquetoast, Thats a very good point about slavery..

It would be exceptionally short-sighted to ascribe the human concept of morality on a divine being, who has the power to (potentially) bring the universe into being...

Explain why. Christians (and others) generally belive that there is a set of absolute moral standards, and these are decreed by their god. You seem to be arguing that, while this may be true, the author of mortal morality is bound by a different morality that mortals cannot discern. Superficially, this satisfies the casual believer. Upon closer examination, it falls apart.

For example, if we are incapable of judging whether god is morally good or bad because god is bound to a different standard of morality, then we cannot judge whether god meets the standard for moral goodness under that standard. If you cannot judge whether a god is morally good by the standards applied to that god, how can you make a moral assessment of anything by refrence to the standards the god sets for mortals?

JUST A THOUGHT!!:confused:

Asuming that there is a god, would'nt his/her motives and sudsequent actions ultimately be to serve the "greater good"?.. if so, the ethics and moral values that define good and bad in the literal sense would'nt apply.

What if the world was created by an evil god? Would that god's actions ultimately serve the 'greater good'? Some early Christians believed that the god of the old testament was the evil creator of everything, and that the god of Jesus was a different entity altogether; a caring, merciful god who sent Jesus as a sacrifice to save humanity from the damnation decreed by the evil old testament god. Look up Marcion of Pontus, for example.

What if the world was created by an evil god? Would that god's actions ultimately serve the 'greater good'? Some early Christians believed that the god of the old testament was the evil creator of everything, and that the god of Jesus was a different entity altogether; a caring, merciful god who sent Jesus as a sacrifice to save humanity from the damnation decreed by the evil old testament god. Look up Marcion of Pontus, for example.

If the first god is evil, then who are christians to question it??

Archived