Old No 12, Waingate

Does anyone have any information about this building? I'm talking about the one above cash convertors and next to Jack Fulley's (Tudor frontage).

It's a really interesting building and I'd just like to know was it the Old No 12 or what was its name? when did it shut and why?

Any other information appreciated!

Does anyone have any information about this building? I'm talking about the one above cash convertors and next to Jack Fulley's (Tudor frontage).

It's a really interesting building and I'd just like to know was it the Old No 12 or what was its name? when did it shut and why?

Any other information appreciated!

My uncle was the landlord there during the 1950's. It was the Old.No12 then with a restaurant above it.

I've no idea what it looks like now as I haven't been down there in years but, as a pub in the 1950's it attracted market traders to solicitors. It had a stage in one of the rooms and I believe there were "turns" on at weekends.

Duffems

Wasn't Davy's restuarant above there somewhere?, remember going in there as a young child. Good old fashioned silver service.

I think Davys restaurant was above the shop which was on the corner opposite the old town hall.OH the smell of roasting coffee.Back to topic.I think the old No.12 was a haunt of Big Ada.

That was Davys shop the Old No 12 was the old Rotherham House on Exchange St, then it was a Berni Inn and it ended its days as the Market Tavern, something in my brains keeps telling me that Sheffield Wednesday started its life there.

I think Davys restaurant was above the shop which was on the corner opposite the old town hall.OH the smell of roasting coffee.Back to topic.I think the old No.12 was a haunt of Big Ada.

Big Ada along with many more market traders was a regular there, my uncle had many a story of her exploits.

It was also a regular for the solicitors who were in the area in the courts around the corner, quite a mixed bag but, very convivial.

Oh happy days! I used to go there for a meal most saturday nights in the early 70's with my (then BF) we have been together 38 yrs and married for 32. It had a great atmoshphere and luvly steak. That was in the days when you could also park right outside without a problem!.

Archived