Old No 12, Waingate

My records show it opened as the Sun Inn in 1780 and changed to the Old Number 12 in 1833.

I have no record of it being the Double Six. (doesn't mean that it wasn,t)

Can you give a link to this as I can't find anything on line?

I'm fairly sure that the pub on Waingate, in the place that the OP describes, was The Brunswick. The Old No 12 was, as has already been posted, on Exchange Street. That one was the Berni that re-opened as The Market Tavern.

I'm fairly sure that the pub on Waingate, in the place that the OP describes, was The Brunswick. The Old No 12 was, as has already been posted, on Exchange Street. That one was the Berni that re-opened as The Market Tavern.

Micky, the place on Waingate (which used to be next to "House of Curls" hairdressers) was definitely called the "Old No 12" in the late seventies/ early eighties.

Micky, the place on Waingate (which used to be next to "House of Curls" hairdressers) was definitely called the "Old No 12" in the late seventies/ early eighties.

The Old No 12 that I knew was on Exchange St. I'm going back to the mid to late 60s and maybe into the early 70s. They had a keller Bar in the basement with Mable at the piano, I think she was called Mable but it was a long time ago. There was a Bernie Inn on the ground floor.

The Old No 12 that I knew was on Exchange St. I'm going back to the mid to late 60s and maybe into the early 70s. They had a keller Bar in the basement with Mable at the piano, I think she was called Mable but it was a long time ago. There was a Bernie Inn on the ground floor.

That pub, on Exchange Street, just next door to the Castle Market, was known, in its latter years, as the Market Tavern, (after it stopped being a Berni-Inn) up to a few years ago, when it shut down, - I think that must be at least 5 or six years ago, possibly even more. My nephew was one of the last licensees there.

I also seem to remember it being called the Garden... something or other....? or the something or other Garden???)

That pub, on Exchange Street, just next door to the Castle Market, was known, in its latter years, as the Market Tavern, (after it stopped being a Berni-Inn) up to a few years ago, when it shut down, - I think that must be at least 5 or six years ago, possibly even more. My nephew was one of the last licensees there.

I also seem to remember it being called the Garden... something or other....? or the something or other Garden???)

That pub was called the Rotherham house before it was a Berni, or, the old No.12.I think they called it the old No. 12 after the original one near Davys was closed.

it wasnt as i used to go in there and it was definitely the brunswick house of curls was above

Archived