Old No 12, Waingate

it wasnt as i used to go in there and it was definitely the brunswick house of curls was above

sadly, it was the old no 12.

I used to go supping down there in the eighties.

see the post here... (and Kidorry's above)

Try http://www.sheffieldpubs.fsnet.co.uk

Lots of info about pubs. Some still around, Others long gone.

the original old no 12 was indeed on waingate and then the name was used at the rotherham house on exchange street.i was the last berni inn manager and transferred the license to mecca in 1982 when berni inns pulled out.

we had 2 restaurants on the ground and first floor with attached bars and also a cellar bar where mable played "music hall" piano most evenings and saturday lunchtime.

the original old no 12 was indeed on waingate and then the name was used at the rotherham house on exchange street.i was the last berni inn manager and transferred the license to mecca in 1982 when berni inns pulled out.

we had 2 restaurants on the ground and first floor with attached bars and also a cellar bar where mable played "music hall" piano most evenings and saturday lunchtime.

Crikey, heeleyboy! I never realised it was that long ago since the Berni Inns pulled out.

My uncle was landlord for the Old No.12 on Waingate then it transferred to the Rotherham House where he was landlord, this was in the 1950's. There was a stage and concert room round at Exchange Street.

Big Ada and many market traders were regulars.

• 1 year later...

Hi, My 3 x great grandmother used to live at the Old No 12 in College Street, Rotherham where she traded as a tobacconist. Her name was Elizabeth Hanby. I have a photograph of the Old No 12. It was I believe demolished about 1893 to make way for road widening.

Pat Smith

Does anyone have any information about this building? I'm talking about the one above cash convertors and next to Jack Fulley's (Tudor frontage).

It's a really interesting building and I'd just like to know was it the Old No 12 or what was its name? when did it shut and why?

Any other information appreciated!

The Old No 12 wasnt given that name until 1971and its had several names during its history aka The Sun, The Rotherham House,Double Six, the Market Tavern,The Garden and was also a Bernies Restaurant.

Davy's was where WH Smiths is now. In my first job as office junior aged 15 at Sheffield Chamber of Commerce (in cutlers hall) I was once sent in there for sandwiches and standing in delicassen queue was Dave Berry:D 1966 in case you're wondering

Archived