As a country, why do we help our competitors?

As i understand it, in a global market place, countries around the world still "compete" with one another - dont they?? :help:

So why then do we have legions of foreigners in our Universities educating themselves, and then taking their educated selves back to their homelands, or some other country, which then benifits from having skilled citizens educated by us, and competing ultimately, against us? :loopy:

Foreign students have to pay full price for University so they are a valuable income for our Universities.

So ENFORCED privatisation for the banks is good? Do you realise how much of our own money they owe us?

Most of the banks have just been effectively Nationalised. I thought you wanted Nationalised industries.

I really don't understand your point.

I know, lets all go to a nationalised bank and see if they will lend us SOME OF OUR OWN MONEY!.....Do behave yourself!:roll:

They keep offering to lend me money. I don't need to borrow any though.

England could be self sufficient in every way if the motivation was there to do it. The problem is that England is ruled by power mad politicians who are so absorbed in their own world and greed that they do not care to see it.

Why have one house when you can have three, why have £2 million when you could have £20 million. Our politicians are scum.

Most of the banks have just been effectively Nationalised. I thought you wanted Nationalised industries.

I really don't understand your point.

They keep offering to lend me money. I don't need to borrow any though.

Me too, but I was not being selfish enough to think just about me. Are you a binman or something?

:hihi:

• 2 months later...
As i understand it, in a global market place, countries around the world still "compete" with one another - dont they?? :help:

So why then do we have legions of foreigners in our Universities educating themselves, and then taking their educated selves back to their homelands, or some other country, which then benifits from having skilled citizens educated by us, and competing ultimately, against us? :loopy:

because they pay for this knowledge where indigenous folk can't be bothered. simples :)

Some very narrow minded responses in this thread. Foreign students have to pay 3x more fees than UK students + pay for there own accomodation. So thats 12k per year + living expenses... Also, once they graduate most of them stay in this country any way and are valuable members of society. Most brain surgens/doctors/lecturers/dentists and other skilled proffesions are mostly people from other counties.

UK born students, have to pay fees, living expenses and for accommodation. The only difference is the fees. UK born people's fees are supposedly subsidised.

Because one of the things we are competitive in is education, hence people from all over the world pay to be educated at our universities. The fees they pay subsidise university places for UK nationals, and the knowledge they bring benefits us all - as does their spending power for the years they are here.

Assuming these people would pay for an education somewhere else if they didn't come here, I'm not quite sure what alternative you are proposing.

While there are countries who can pay workers a quarter of what British or American workers demand, and still keep them happy, they will continue to send their best brains to our Universities to learn, then go back and manufacture equal or better quality material for our consumption, and our workers end up slinging hash at Mickeys or somewhere. Its a fact of modern life and its not going to change in a hurry. If you don't like it don't buy Asiian, that's if you can find anything made at home other than Henderson's relish.

Archived