Christians,old Beauchief Hotel.

vanjon

Erm... Assume all you like. You'll be very wrong. I've been to Relish on more than one occasion actually. I've eaten there (had the very tasty scallops if you must know), and had drinks and listened to the excellent DJ they had once on a Sunday night (this was a while back don't know if they still have DJs)

As for self-contradictions; perhaps you'd like to read a little more carefully before reaching for the keyboard to fire off invective. I said "some of the T/BK establishments".

Yes? That is "some" not "all". Clear? Cool.

Apologies , I meant it didn't sound like you had tried the beauchief ... Was vastly different from any of the other brew kitchen/ smiths ventures and it will be sadly missed.

The chef Charlie was really trying to do something new , innovative and a bit exciting.

Relish has its place but I wouldn't go there expecting a fancy meal and the Beauchief is now in the same vein. I will go there if I want a burger , or a pie plus a decent pint. We have a brew kitchen discount card so it's not like I hate the venues.

Sheffield now has very few places worthy of a special occasion.

Gusto, Marcos , Morans (not been for a while so no idea if still good).

Possibly rafters and artisan (but whisper it , artisan seems to have gone downhill lately too...).

I am off to fischers for my birthday , and Manchester beckons if we can get in the new Simon rogan place (the French)

I went to the Beauchief for my birhtday in March. The menu was really confused and full of 2 for 1 type deals. The vegi dishes all contained parmesan and the waitress didn't know if any of the dishes could be prepared using only vegi ingredients.The atmosphere in the restaurant was zero and the deco was pretty dated..... In all fairness when the food did come it was really good! Another plus side was the surprisingly cool cellar bar downstairs and its good range of Thornbridge beer and decent music, I just wish Id eaten down there and not with the fuddy duddies upstairs!

Apologies , I meant it didn't sound like you had tried the beauchief ... Was vastly different from any of the other brew kitchen/ smiths ventures and it will be sadly missed.

<snip...>

Gusto, Marcos , Morans (not been for a while so no idea if still good).

Possibly rafters and artisan (but whisper it , artisan seems to have gone downhill lately too...).

I am off to fischers for my birthday , and Manchester beckons if we can get in the new Simon rogan place (the French)

Ah OK the misunderstanding was partly mine so apologies. I thought you meant I hadn't tried Relish. I had always intended to eat at The Beauchief but never made it. The menu didn't grab me; in my personal opinion (only) I thought they were trying too hard. I recall occasions when The Beauchief was on the dining shortlist but we opted for Rafters, The London Club (RIP), Artisan and Gusto.

I did go to the new years' bash there however.

I used to drink there a lot when it was Christians and then visited when it was taken over by TB/BK. I think the Cellar Door was devoid of any decent atmosphere. If I want that sort of vibe I'll go to The Cricketers which to be honest I like a great deal. But Cellar Door put me off the place. As one local said to me it was a boring "middle class place for middle class people". Now she runs her own business, is 40+ and is very middle class, but I know just what she meant. People want something a little more sparky.

P.s. Gusto is by far away my fave restaurant in Sheffield at the moment. I've been to all the others you mention, but the whole vibe is authentic and excellent. And I've not long returned from Bologna!

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Went to jacks bar for the Sunday carvery today. The food was fairly cold and they'd run out of mashed potato which was a shame as the manager seems enthusiastic.. Hope it improves as its still a lovely setting. It would be good if they could move the smokers away from the covered entrance.

• 1 month later...

I called in the bar a couple of Wednesdays ago, there was an offer chalked onto a blackboard behind the bar, a double white rum and coke £ 2.50 (or summat), I asked for it and was told the offer only applies to Sat night. I inquired as to why it was still being advertised, because 'someone had painted it onto the board so we can't erase it' was what I was told.

I ordered a pint of pale ale, it was foul and cloudy so I took it back. I then ordered another beer, it was foul and cloudy so I took it back. The lad behind the bar suggested the pipes had not been cleaned and, as the owner of Thornbridge Brewery was upstairs dining he hoped the bloke wasn't going to come into the bar later and ask for a pint of his own (terribly misrepresented) product! I was offered the rum and coke!

I`d heard that the change from Cellar Door to Jack`s Bar had resulted in less ale choice which is a shame. The prices will still be `top end`.

When it was The Cellar door it was a great bar and as my local I went frequently for food and drink. It was ran by Richard and then Wayne who had a range of Thornbridge and non-Thornbridge beers on Cask, Keg and Bottle which were all really well kept. The bar downstairs was always really busy and people would go in for the beer and have food downstairs. The problem started when the Chef and Manager upstairs left and the restaurant and bar had the same menu. People would be eating downstairs and the restaurant was only busy on a Sunday. If I was the management of Brew kitchen I would have seen that the bar was successful and was obviously doing something right and do something upstairs. Instead of this they decided to change everything and by that ruin the bar. They have removed all the non Thornbridge beers got rid of all the exciting bottles, replaced it with all the bog standard Thornbridge beers and not kept them very well. So what we have now is a boring bar serving boring beer that isn't well kept. They seem to have a bouncy castle and a disco now and the whole feel of the place has changed it is very cheap and tacky now. As a result I rarely go in now which is a shame as I loved going there.

Amazes me that any bar can consider it acceptable to serve poor quality beer especially when you consider how much cheaper you can buy it for at the supermarket,surely something like cleaning the pipes should be basic stuff like unlocking the door!!

well me and my other half attended the wedding i spoke of earlier in the thread.....i found the bar staff very friendly and polite,very little time was spent waiting to be served even though it was busy,the bar prices were a little high but not as expensive as i thought it would be......all in all we had a good night......thanks to all that made it an enjoyable evening :thumbsup:

Archived