How to get a car with no tax or MOT to a garage?

It is one of those urban myths that you can drive an untaxed car to an MOT station even if the certificate is expired.

No it's not.

It's true (under the RTA) providing the MOT is prebooked.

No it's not.

It's true (under the RTA) providing the MOT is prebooked.

check your insurance policy. I note that you editted out the relavent bit of my post in order to quote out of context

QUOTE...

The problem arises with the terms on most insurance policies requiring that the vehicle is maintained in accordance with the RTA. This of course requires a current MOT test certificate. So if you are on your way to the test centre and have an accident the insurance company have plenty of wriggle room to suggest that the terms of the policy were being violated and giving them a perfect loophole to avoid paying out. At which point the police will come a knocking.

Maintenance in accordance with the RTA does not require an MOT certificate. While the insurers require your vehicle to be roadworthy, once it's on risk they cannot wriggle out of third party liabilites very easily.

Liabilities to their own insured however are a different matter.

Maintenance in accordance with the RTA does not require an MOT certificate. While the insurers require your vehicle to be roadworthy, once it's on risk they cannot wriggle out of third party liabilites very easily.

Liabilities to their own insured however are a different matter.

Quote from DVLA's website.

Driving Untaxed Vehicle to MOT Test

Can I Drive an Untaxed Vehicle to an MOT Test?

The short answer is yes but there are rules. You can drive your vehicle to and from a pre-arranged test at an MOT test station if you have insurance cover in place for the use of that vehicle.

This also applies to vehicles being driven to and from a prearranged test at a Vehicle Inspection Check (VIC) test station, an approved weight testing station and reduced pollution test.

Quote from my insurance policy.

exemptions.

Claims where at the time of the road traffic accident the driver of your car did not hold a valid driving licence, your car was not in a roadworthy condition or there was no valid MOT certificate.

To compound the lack of MOT some people will actually drive the vehicle back from an MOT station after the vehicle has been pronounced unroadworthy by having a FAIL certificate issued.

The issue of third party liability is an interesting side issue. If you were classed as an uninsured driver, the other parties would be paid out under their own insurance. It would then be up to the companies involved to decide if it was worth pursuing you for the losses.

Quote from DVLA's website.

Driving Untaxed Vehicle to MOT Test

Can I Drive an Untaxed Vehicle to an MOT Test?

The short answer is yes but there are rules. You can drive your vehicle to and from a pre-arranged test at an MOT test station if you have insurance cover in place for the use of that vehicle.

No one was saying no insurance was needed, in fact (if you read all the posts) you'd realise that one of the first posts contains the requirement for insurance. You stated:

It is one of those urban myths that you can drive an untaxed car to an MOT station even if the certificate is expired.

When your post says the opposite.

No one was saying no insurance was needed, in fact (if you read all the posts) you'd realise that one of the first posts contains the requirement for insurance. You stated:

When your post says the opposite.

Perhaps if you didn't spend so much time trying to edit what others have posted to try to fit it in to your incorrect reading of the situation you would be in a position to actually add something to this thread.

What I posted was a statement from the DVLA saying you could drive a car to an MOT station providing it had insurance cover.

and a statement for the insurance company saying in order to have cover the car must be covered with a current MOT certificate.

KINDLY DO NOT EDIT MY POSTS IF YOU ARE GOING TO QUOTE THEM.

Archived