Foldingbowie knife

i have afoldingbowie knife made by a sheffield knifemaker called w.h.wragg from the late 1800s i am trying to find out something about w,h,wragg & about the knife he made i hope somebody can help me in your history section hope to hear from you soon pobber

i have afoldingbowie knife made by a sheffield knifemaker called w.h.wragg from the late 1800s i am trying to find out something about w,h,wragg & about the knife he made i hope somebody can help me in your history section hope to hear from you soon pobber

I think there were several knife makers named Wragg.

The website below contains some details which might be of interest

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?74646-W...Wragg

The 1876 Whites directory gives a William Henry Wragg sporting and picnic knife manufacturer Cambridge Horn works 22 Cambridge St. House 208 Hanover Street.

1881 employed 2 boys and 7 men i think he died 1886 but the sons carried the firm on.

Listed in 1927 As a William Henry Wragg Spring knife cutler 95 Tapton Hill Rd there was a large cutlery works in Harwood st under the name Wraggs may be the same family?

I knew Eric Wragg ,he used to work above mortons on westst and one of his specialities were the folding bowie knives,,if I remember the blade was a lot thinner than an ordinary bowie and when foldedthere is about five inches of blade showing so it can be used for skinning etc. Eric was a superb craftsman and a genuine nice guy I can see him now whith his long grey sideburns and his infectious smile.He also made some of the blades for the sheffield year knife.hope that helps.

Have a look in Sheffield Industries book by Joan Unwin and Ken Hawley or the Sheffield Knife Book by Geoffrey Tweedale. My father and myself used to grind some of the blades for Eric Wragg who worked on Mortons old building.I do know that the folding bowie was one of his trademarke knives.

• 10 months later...

My gradfather worked next to Eric Wragg on West Street, next to the 'old' Saddle pub.

We often went in a watched Eric working, he showed us the folding 'hunting' knife he made, it was beautiful and he also showed us the 2 leather bound 'design' books dating back in to the 1800's with detailed sketches of all the knifes he made

My gradfather has long since past away but the memories are priceless

regards

Steve Sadler

Archived