Car trouble, any advice welcomed

Go easy on hammer though id use a mallet or hammer shaft or a piece of wood and hit that with hammer against drims .unless things are really bad.

Rubber mallet might be the best bet if available - if not a mallet n' would combo as suggested.

Do not lubricate (i.e wd40 is primarily a water displacer but secondarily a lubricant) brakes unless you know what you are doing!

(sorry if this is obvious but: ) I personally would take the handbrake off while you give the brakes your effort (obviously secure the car so it won't roll away) . Maybe work the lever on/off a bit for good measure.

Rubber mallet might be the best bet if available - if not a mallet n' would combo as suggested.

Do not lubricate (i.e wd40 is primarily a water displacer but secondarily a lubricant) brakes unless you know what you are doing!

(sorry if this is obvious but: ) I personally would take the handbrake off while you give the brakes your effort (obviously secure the car so it won't roll away) . Maybe work the lever on/off a bit for good measure.

Yes would be good idea with handbreak off would help.

ok thanks....but i cant imagine them being seized on that tight...its only been stood two weeks.....when i take the wheel off...do i hit that drum type housing, i think it normally has four screws holding it in place, or do i have to take it off...as you can guess i know nothing about cars :(

Basically what happens is nowadays there is a soft metal compound in some brake shoes which rusts together with the metal in the brake drums, it is only a matter of breaking this togetherness and the problem is sorted until the next time the handbrake is left on for long periods of time in damp conditions

mel

• 5 months later...

Archived