Tinsley Tram Sheds

gareth388

The Tinsley Tram Sheds look set to be restored under the 'Tinsley Tram Depot Project', which has just been released by the South Yorkshire Transport Trust. The finished building will be opened as a new Museum. You can read all about it by visiting the website for the Tram Sheds - type 'tinsley tram depot' into google search, and you will find the web site.

You can also down load a 12 page brochure, detailing some of the plans.

Does anyone know of anyone who worked at the Tram Depot while it was still operational? We are keen to find out as much history about the depot as possible.

We would particularly like to know what the upstairs rooms were used for, as in the restoration plans, they will be restored, and fitted out with period 1940s/1950s fixtures and fittings, and we need to get this as accurate as possible.

If anyone can help, please get in touch.

dont know history of tram times but in the 60s it was used by G.E.C. electrics as a warehouse and it was full of electrical goods we used to visit it 5 times a night on security visits a bit spooky at 2 am in the dark after that closed it becme the TILE DEPOT to the best of my knowledge

Hi All,

Thanks for putting direct link on - the system would not allow me to do it!

Also, thanks for the extra information so far - these are gaps in the History, that we did not know about.

I think there was also a metal fabrication company in the 1st bay before the Tile Depot appeared. I think it was called Paltreen?, but I'm not sure.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All,

Thanks for putting direct link on - the system would not allow me to do it!

Also, thanks for the extra information so far - these are gaps in the History, that we did not know about.

I think there was also a metal fabrication company in the 1st bay before the Tile Depot appeared. I think it was called Paltreen?, but I'm not sure.

Paltreen, A dissolved? company with a head office on queen street gareth?

http://www.ukdata.com/company-credit-reports/PALTREEN-LIMITED.html

might be worth writing to them?

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello all,

To assist us with the process of applying for various grants for the Tram Depot Project, we need to know what you all think of the project. We have just launched an online survey, so could you take a few moments to fill in the survey? On the welcome page of both the main SYTT website and the Tram Depot Project site, there is a link to the survey. Just answer the few simple questions and click on 'Submit'.

Many Thanks in advance.

The main SYTT website link is given earlier in this thread.

OK - I'm confused. Are the SYTT and the Sheffield Bus Museum related? Both seem to have links to the Trams Sheds, but the SBM also seems to be based in Aldwarke? Please can someone enlighten me, and tell me when these venues are open to vistors? Ta!

The Sheffield bus museum moved out of the Tinsley Tram Sheds a few years ago to their new home in Aldwarke, The SYTT (South Yorkshire Transport Trust) have moved the collection of vehicles in to Tinsley Tram Sheds from their former home at Kimberworth, Maybe Gareth will fill more details in...

Archived