Palais / Locarno London Road

senwar

Drove past there today and saw that the building is being knocked down.

Its got to be a good 8-10 years since I've been but it certainly made we well up seeing it being knocked to bits. Had some wonderful nights in there in the period 90-94. My all time best night out was had in there NYE 1991. Great nights as Jam Factory etc.

A sad day for me today.

I heard they were knocking down the building, but keeping the facade (and presumably building something new behind it).

Is that because it's a listed building? Does anyone know if it is?

Also, if it is a listed building, how did they every get away with painting the entire lot black? It looks truly horrid. Hopefully not for much longer.

Originally posted by goldenfleece

I am sure that in the style of modern urban living, good taste will prevail and the facade will be sandblasted back to its former glory. At least, I hope so. Watch this space!

Good point

The black paint job ruined the building

Originally posted by fnkysknky

Well there's a big hole in the wall next to the entrance now so doesn't look like they're keeping it.

That is realy sad news.

I was hoping that the Facade would be cleaned up and the beautiful original terracotta and chinese style pagoda revealed.

I'm sure that much of the back of the building was of little value but the front has been an interesting landmark of the city for 90 years. Infact my parents first met there at the Locarno Ballroom, and so did many others. :(

Archived