Palais / Locarno London Road

senwar

Yes it was originally Lansdowne cinema.

There are some things about it on my lost cinemas of sheffield website, which has been contributed to by many forummers and other people.

Lost cinemas - Lansdowne

And here on an information table

The Top Of the Pops was held there in 30 years ago but regulars weren't allowed in [boo]

it was closed down cos the sewage system was the original one that was installed when the place was built 90 years ago! I dont think it could take the bombardment the Bed audience gave it!

The pipes burst and the place got covered in sewage and to fix the problem would cost more than the place was worth so they cut their losses. Dont balame GC for doin that but I will miss place non the less. :-(

• 3 months later...

Wow, I can't believe it either. Going back 15 years now, i remember my first visit to The Jam Factory. It was the first ever 'House' club i ever went to and proud of it.

I remember it clear as day walking through the double doors on the inside, looking up at all the people with their hands in the air going mental on the platform around the dancefloor. I got a buzz from it straight away, cos i'd never seen anything like this before. That was it then; i was hooked.

Just a few moments i'd like to share with ya'all:

:cool: Dave Seaman - Dropping 'Rhythm is a Mystery' at any point during the night.

;) K-Klass - Boxing Day on the podium playing live. Not so long after, are heared to be kicked out of Top of the Pops' dressing room (before even going on stage) for snorting 'illegal substances'.

:rolleyes: The Music Factory nights - when the facade was painted white and looked absolutely awesome. Especially when there was a queue right round the corner (both ends).

:thumbsup: Love2Be - With Marc Black. Best promoter i've always thought. The place was rammed every week without fail and he always seemed to be into what he was doing. Good man.

:| The Music Factory - With Charlie Chester taking over. A fair few quid rumoured to have been spent on the place, but i remember the only difference was seeing a few drapes in there. Thinking back now, maybe it was under, over and around the place that was worked on. I didn't have a clue about the sewage. Got to say though, if i ever had a drink of water from the toilets in there, i was guaranteed to wake up Monday morning with a sore throat. Weird but true...

After that, The Factory went slowly downhill with the decor (in my opinion), looking grubby and in need of a refurbishment on the inside, and painting any other colour than BLACK on the outside.

Who would've thought that 15 years on a venue like The Factory would be visible no more, and all that was left of it was 'House Music Memories'. Definitely not me. Just like the Hacienda in Manchester.

Let's hope any other favourite venues have 'Sound' foundations eh?

Archived