First Indian and Chinese Restaurants in Sheffield?

One of, if not the first, Indians was the Ajanta on Carver Street, I think the Zing Vaa was the first Chinese, BUT, there was a Hudsons on Norfolk St, opposite where Mammas and Leonies is now that was Chinese and was certainly running in the early 60s.

I delivered the booze to the opening of the Golden Dragon about 1965.

Zing Vaa '63 is my earliest memory of a Chinese restaurant in Sheffield, though it may well have been in business before then. When I visited Sheffield last yr., I went in it again. Same location, same windowless downstairs basement, it was like a flashback to my younger days. And to top it off same good quality chinese nosh. :thumbsup:

My owd mam used to go to the Zing Vaa with her mates in the 1960's. I used to think it was called the "Sink Vase". My first experience of a Chinese restaurant was going to one above a shop (possibly car salesroom) off the bottom of the Moor before 1974. Does anyone else remember this Chinese restaurant and can tell me more about it?

The first Indian rsstaurant was The Oriental on Langset Rd 1953

Hi,

You're right. The first Indian restaurant was indeed the Oriental on Langsett. Also affectionately know as "Sunburnt Harry's". !953 would be about right.

The first real Chinese restaurant was Rickshaw I in1957 -junction of Eldon Street and Broomhall St. (alongside the old Royal Hospital). There was also Rickshaw II, corner of Broomhall Street and Devonshire Street but it didn't last long. The Zing Vaa opened soon after Rickshaw I. The good Old Peacock and the orthers came in the late 1950's-early 60's.

There had always been other eating establishments around town that claimed to offer exciting foreign food, and pre-dated the above but most were the type where you wiped your feet on the way out.

Regards

The first Indian rsstaurant was The Oriental on Langset Rd 1953

Thank you so much for that ..my parents had the lyceum hotel on langsett rd when i was a kid...and i have been trying to think of the name ...ahhh the oriental..thanks again :)

I know it not indian or chinese, but anyone remember venus steakhouse on pinstone street

I remember it ! Their braised steak was to die for ! I used to go there for lunch with my mum. I also remember Zing Vaa and their pink tablecloths and Golden Dragon ..the first place I ever had Dim Sum...I can still taste it now ! We were in ther once when Arthur Scargill came in. A couple of punters started up on him and I remember my dad ( a copper ) stepping in and calming it all down.

Anyone dine at the Siccey(sp?) Inn( up at sheffield lane top) in the 'little houses '.. Loved that . I was about 12 and thought it really classy :hihi:

Archived