First Indian and Chinese Restaurants in Sheffield?

the oriental on langsett rd near the burgoyne was the 1st I was 15 i n 1973 the waiting room was downstairs with a large tank of tropical fish one or two smart lads used to finish their meal open the sash window slide down the toilet roof and away he soon had it screwd up

• 2 weeks later...
It's a toss-up between the Zing Vaa and Rickshaw (Devonshire Street) as to which was the first Chinese restaurant in Sheffield - both were open in the 1950s. The Silver Dragon at Hillsborough Corner opened in 1961.

I thought the Chinese(up the stairs) on Hillsborough corner was the Bluebird?. I remember going there from college in late `61 and early `62. Can anybody refresh my memory.

I have not lived in Sheffield for many years,but I was there when the "Indian Restuarants" started appearing.

To my way of thinking this all smacks of double standards on a massive scale.

For we have two,so called, national and religious groups that have even fought wars in the past.

So why don't we have Pakistani restaurants or Muslim take aways?

Seems that certain groups get mighty worked up over some issues,but when the pounds need counting then all religious and national differences are fogotten.

Did you see the last para of Hillsbro's post?

When 'Indian' restaurants first started appearing Pakistan was part of the Indian sub continent, so the restaurants were 'Indian'.

It's unlikely most of the British population would have been aware, or even bothered about the origin or veracity of their post pub curry, in fact I'd go so far as to say it was because of our familiarity with the Pakistani food that came out of 'Indian' restaurants that made it stay that way, it's a lot easier than saying Pakistani!

The fact is the food in 'Indian' restaurants is typically Pakistani and always has been, and it's the food the British public have come to love, so I'm not sure what 'double standards' you're referring to, since the pounds need counting, it's the Pakistani (Muslim), not Indian food that makes the money. If they started selling pork curries you might have a point.

Anyone dine at the Siccey(sp?) Inn( up at sheffield lane top) in the 'little houses '.. Loved that . I was about 12 and thought it really classy :hihi:

I remember The Sicey, with the 'little houses' it was a Beefeater. I believe it was a fish restaurant before that though. Maybe someone out there remembers that? :huh: It all went downhill when the food side closed, turned into a 'rough' pub, closed down, then demolished!!

Did you see the last para of Hillsbro's post?

When 'Indian' restaurants first started appearing Pakistan was part of the Indian sub continent, so the restaurants were 'Indian'.

It's unlikely most of the British population would have been aware, or even bothered about the origin or veracity of their post pub curry, in fact I'd go so far as to say it was because of our familiarity with the Pakistani food that came out of 'Indian' restaurants that made it stay that way, it's a lot easier than saying Pakistani!

The fact is the food in 'Indian' restaurants is typically Pakistani and always has been, and it's the food the British public have come to love, so I'm not sure what 'double standards' you're referring to, since the pounds need counting, it's the Pakistani (Muslim), not Indian food that makes the money. If they started selling pork curries you might have a point.

Wasn't partition in 1947? I reckon every 'Indian' restaurant in Sheffield opened after that.

Archived