First Indian and Chinese Restaurants in Sheffield?

Was it Candytown on London Road? On the corner opposite the Locarno. Or, if was on a road off the Moor, it may have been the Golden Dragon because you have to go upstairs to that.

The restaurant on the opposite corner to the Locarno was I am sure originally called The Silver Palace. I remember measuring it up for the carpets and the owners wanted the same carpet that was in the Zing Vaa. It was called banana leaf and we had hilarous problems with the credit agreement as it seems that the Chinese do not sign their names in quite the same way that they are spoken and the finance company kept rejecting the paperwork. As to the problems with the carpet I could go on for ages but suffice to say I had the glorious sight of seeing three very irate Chinese gentlemen threaten to kill my area manager!!! This would be 1962/63

As for the El Mambo, my favourite spot for a while but my beloved says nice girls didn't go there!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived