What was on the site of west one near devinshire green before?

morwin1

further down from the hornblower[towards the bottom of the moor] there was a factory though not sure what it was called. And i seem to remember a car showroom in the area
The factory may have been Viners (cutlery firm) which was in that general area
yeh my mum n dad remember a put called the raven, and then it changed to an irish pub that they cnt remember the name of. so i dnt really know which is correct...
The Raven became the Hornblower, and a couple of years before it closed the name was changed again to O'Hagan's, with the Guinness flowing freely and such "delicacies" as Irish stew, boxty and Dublin coddle on the lunchtime menu..:). This photo was taken just before the pub closed - you can see evidence of demolition work at the left side.

The showroom just below the Raven/Hornblower was a really attractive art deco building. Didn't there use to be some houses there as well? Weirdly, because I worked on West Street for 5 years, that's all I can remember about that part of Fitzwilliam Street :huh:

You could also research on Picture Sheffield and in old directories in the local studies library.

Hi,

I lived on Victoria st (just round the corner) from 77 to 1981 and as far as i can remember.

There was the pub at the top nr west st called the 'Hornblower' then a hardware shop, a small car park (rear of Surmanco building a scissor factory) then like a churchy type hall nr the bottom where fitzwilliam st is.

Devonshire green was a large car park, and most of the pubs were 'old man pubs' not trendie student places like now.

any other questions let me know,bout broomhall flats, springfield school,notre dame, or glossop baths.

On the corner of Broomhall street and FitzWwilliam St, where the rounded corner of West1 is now, was Ernest Hill (brand name "Nesthill") cutlery manufacturers.

After the factory, as you went up toward the Lights on West street, there was a pub, (the Hornblower?) And a chapel (brethren? nonconformist? Congs?) called something along the lines of the Broomhall Chapel or Mission?)

Edit:- FitzWilliam Chapel!

Archived