Sheffield 1950/1960

mijco

hi nel i left bellfield st when i were about 8 so a bit rusty when you walked down bellfield st from fawcett st corner opposite st stephens church towards the bellfild pub halfway down on left after a row of back to back houses there was a path goin to a yard with about 8 houses or so which some backed on to coop i think i lived there wi mi nanwere the path wasover the wall was a big wreck which had been flattend and cleared opposite was another wreck a lot bigger which had been cleared and you could see right across to st philips rd is that any clearer so rry for description it was a 50 some year ago

My paper round was Hunt Street,Bellfield Street, Hammond Street up to Bromley Street about 140 stars a lot of back to back house's as well second half was St.Philips Road Watery Street Henry Street Malinda Street and Montgomery Terrace road this was in the 50s but I would most likely get lost around there now.

Hello Mijco you have got me puzzled,in my imagination I have just walked down Bellfield Street as far as I can remember if you walk down Bellfield street the houses you are talking about would have been on the right not the left for you to see across to St Philips Road and I imagine you are talking about the small road which had the pub Dirty Dicks at the bottom on the opposite corner to the Bellfield pub.

If you walked past Dirty Dicks there was a wreck on the right hand side which led to St Philips Road.

Perhaps someone could put us both right there are a few older forumers who are quite knowledgeable about the area:confused::hihi:

I went to St Anne's school for the first few years my friend went to st Stephens about the same time as you.

hi does anybody remember old bellfield street when you could walk across the wreck to st philips rd

I don't remember Bellfield Seet, I remember St Phillips Road.

My Parents (father) & my brother went to Netherthorpe school, I was born on meadow St.

I had a couple of days back in the Sheffield area (approx 3-4 years ago)and saw that Netherthorpe School was still standing & the Supertram track ran down St Phillips road .

I can remember being taken to visit my great-grandmother at Bellfield St in the late 50's. She had a shop & although by that time had stopped trading, still lived on the premises. Previously she & her husband had been licensees of several pubs in the area. I think he died in 1949, he was well known in boxing circles & I have an old sepia photo of him with 'Bombadier' Billy Wells.

I have only vague memories, however I'm positive that it was on the right hand side of the road going up. I seem to remember that it traded as a sweet shop, (before my time). I do remember seeing very dusty, empty, sweet jars on the shelves. I can speak to my mother to get more specific details & get back to you.

Archived