Sheffield 1950/1960

mijco

Hi ,

Just had a chat with my mother. My greatgrandparent's shop was opposite the Bellfield Inn, which they also ran. They also had a couple of houses which they rented, one of which was to a family called Marples. This was before WW11. I was wrong about about my great-grandfather's date of death, he died aged 61 in 1940. His name was Ben Taylor, apparently quite well known in his day.

hi nell i remember the coop with the air lines which took y money i think we lived in a yard behind there,in the yard there was a jennel going through to i think bell field lane i lived at 47 ,if you walked past the coop heading towards st philips rd turned 1st left wernt that bellfield st

Hello Bert When we were little my friend and I used to go in Mrs Taylors for a penny drink and she had a couple of stools under the shelf where she kept the bundles of sticks we would sit under there with our drinks and pretend we were in the pub having a drink.

Was Mrs Taylors maiden name Broomhead? if so had she got a brother,I think his name was Tom.

If this is so I think our cat peed up your entry.:hihi::lol:

Hi Nosy Nellie,

Yes her maiden name was Broomhead, my Mother tells me that she was brought up in Calver & there was a brother called Tom, also she thinks another one, but can't remember the name. I have some really old photos & one taken on her 80th birthday, which I remember, if you want to pm your e-mail.

Thanks for your interest.

no a wreck was basically the bombed and wrecked houses which had been cleared
There was an area of those black cinders and some basic paths with railing around it all a little way from my grandmother's house when I was little, and the local kids always called it the 'wreck'. Like natjack, I imagined that some sort of boat had been run aground there in the past. In Sheffield - 90 miles from the sea in either direction! :D

Anyway, when I was eventually allowed to go there with some of them, I saw the sign ... Recreation Ground! The Rec. doh! :blush:

This may sound a bit complicated Bert.

My Aunt by marriage(She was married to my fathers brother)Was Tom Broomheads daughter Elsie and they lived in High House road before she married and then lived in Rudyard Road.

I told you our Cat may have peed up your entry:hihi::hihi:

I would love the photos I will send my email.Thanks.

No Mijco I think Bellfield Street would have been the other way.If you came out of the coop and turned right it was the first street on your right. I did not know Bellfield Lane never went up there but I went on St Stephens Playground quite a lot.
In case it's helpful, here is a 1950s map of the area..:)

Archived