Sheffield canal puzzle

yatesace

can anyone tell me what the structure is on the canal between broughton lane and the first canal basin towards tinsley is it a bridge a loading dock it has a small overgrown cut at the side of it did this extent further back ????

hi yatesace this was an old tilt bridge tha served tinsley park collierywith coal wagons which closed just after the second world war but as young lads made a great place to jump into canal when coming home from little wembley which was used by coleridge road school as our football pitch not very pc for today kids regards aj

My late mother old the tale of she and her two sisters, on their way home from school playing "jump-the-cut" somewhere near the back of Coleridge Road (where they went to school), where there was a narrowed bit of the canal.

They were jumping from bank to bank, (in their school uniforms, no less!! :o ) and one of them, naturally, fell in.

She surfaced, my mother said, covered in a green slime, and stinking vile, from the filthy water.

Apparently, that day, she found out what the meaning was, of the phrase "You won't be able to sit down for a month of Sundays!"

Archived