Discussions, arguments and debates.

I am merely attempting to get peoples opinions! TOUCHY!:roll:

Nah! Not touchy. Just wonder why you feel the need to argue pointlessly if not to get some adverse reaction from people. A troll is someone who sets about purposely trying to upset people by posting diatribe on threads that are supposed to be meaningful discussions. :suspect:

Nah! Not touchy. Just wonder why you feel the need to argue pointlessly if not to get some adverse reaction from people. A troll is someone who sets about purposely trying to upset people by posting diatribe on threads that are supposed to be meaningful discussions. :suspect:

OK. So do you think that I am trolling in this thread and attempting to cause an argument or do you think that I am merely discussing?

ps. There are other ways to increase your post count rather than just posting meaningless one liners. I have noticed in certain other threads that you really do enjoy doing this, as well as replying to people with multiple one line threads. Is your post count really that important? Contact the mods - you can have mine if they mean that much to you.

ps. There are other ways to increase your post count rather than just posting meaningless one liners. I have noticed in certain other threads that you really do enjoy doing this, as well as replying to people with multiple one line threads. Is your post count really that important? Contact the mods - you can have mine if they mean that much to you.

I really do not know what the post count thing is and why it is considered to be important.

So why do you post so many pointless one liners? I refer especially to the thread you yourself started concerning social security - but there have been others. I am not sure but you are certainly heading in the direction of a wind up merchant - and that is why so many people accuse you of trolling - or so few accuse you of it often.

In response to your original post then - I would say that there is a very fine line seperating a discussion, debate and argument and the three are easily mistaken.

Can you explain where the lines are drawn between the different entities?
This is purely my opinion.

A discussion is an attempt to resolve a difference by finding a mutually beneficial solution to both parties

A debate is merely two parties taking opposing viewpoints and attempting to prove one side of a scenario is prefereable to the other and no mutual benefit is sought

An argument is two parties getting emotionally involved and taking a position where no resolution is necessarily sought but damage is the desired result to the other party

So why do you post so many pointless one liners? I refer especially to the thread you yourself started concerning social security - but there have been others. I am not sure but you are certainly heading in the direction of a wind up merchant - and that is why so many people accuse you of trolling - or so few accuse you of it often.

In response to your original post then - I would say that there is a very fine line seperating a discussion, debate and argument and the three are easily mistaken.

I would agree that VERY few accuse me of it often. I can count them on one hand. They keep monotonously repeating the same thing in the hope that people will eventually agree. Actually there are only one/two of them.:roll:

This is purely my opinion.

A discussion is an attempt to resolve a difference by finding a mutually beneficial solution to both parties

A debate is merely two parties taking opposing viewpoints and attempting to prove one side of a scenario is prefereable to the other and no mutual benefit is sought

An argument is two parties getting emotionally involved and taking a position where no resolution is necessarily sought but damage is the desired result to the other party

Hmmmm....I am not sure if I could disagree with that!:huh:

Archived